Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Swedish charity accused American troops Monday of storming through a hospital in central Afghanistan

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

KABUL (Sept. 7) - A Swedish charity accused American troops Monday of storming through a hospital in central Afghanistan, breaking down doors and tying up staff in a search for militants. The U.S. military said it was investigating.

The allegation that soldiers violated the neutrality of a medical facility follows the reported deaths of Afghan civilians in a U.S. airstrike in the country's north last week. An Afghan human rights group said Monday the strike on two hijacked fuel tankers may have killed as many as 70 civilians in Kunduz province.

Civilian deaths and intrusive searches have bred resentment among the Afghan population nearly eight years after the U.S.-led coalition invaded to oust the Taliban's hard-line Islamist regime for sheltering al-Qaida terrorist leaders.

Foreign forces are working to persuade the population to support the Afghan government after last month's presidential election, which has yet to be decided amid allegations of vote-rigging.

On Monday, the Swedish Committee for Afghanistan said the U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division entered the charity's hospital without permission to look for insurgents in Wardak province, southwest of Kabul.

"This is simply not acceptable," said Anders Fange, the charity's country director.

The U.S. troops came to the hospital looking for Taliban insurgents late at night last Wednesday. Fange said they kicked in doors, tied up four hospital employees and two family members of patients, and forced patients out of beds during their search.

When they left two hours later, the unit ordered hospital staff to inform coalition forces if any wounded militants were admitted, and the military would decide if they could be treated, Fange said.

The staff refused, he said. "That would put our staff at risk and make the hospital a target."

The charity said on its Web site that the troops' actions were not only a violation of humanitarian principles but also went against an agreement between NATO forces and charities working in the area.

"We demand guarantees ... that such violations will not be repeated and that this is made clear to commanders in the field," a statement said.

U.S. military spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Christine Sidenstricker confirmed that the hospital was searched last week but had no other details. She said the military was looking into the incident.

"We are investigating and we take allegations like this seriously," she said. "Complaints like this are rare."
Violence has surged across much of Afghanistan since President Barack Obama ordered 21,000 more U.S. troops to the country this year. Two foreign troops were killed Sunday when their patrol hit a roadside bomb in the country's south, NATO said without giving their nationalities.

NATO was also investigating last week's U.S. airstrike. The strike came despite new rules for foreign forces limiting use of airpower to avoid civilian casualties.

The provincial government said most of the dead were militants, but on Monday, the Afghan Rights Monitor said interviews with 15 villagers indicate that only a dozen gunmen died and 60-70 villagers were killed. The group called for further investigations.

"Even if all the victims were supporters of the Taliban, the fact that most of them were unarmed and were not engaged in any combat activity does not warrant their mass killing," said Ajmal Samadi, the rights group's director.

A spokesman for the provincial government, Ahmad Sami Yawar, said Monday that only five of the estimated 70 killed were civilians.

The increasingly violent insurgents have killed more civilians in bombings and other attacks. On Monday, the government said three militant rockets landed overnight in the capital, Kabul, hitting a house and killing three people. In central Uruzgan province, a remote-controlled bomb targeting a police vehicle exploded in a busy market, killing two children and wounding 16 other people, according to local police official Gulab Khan.

A United Nations report in July said the number of civilians killed in conflict in Afghanistan has jumped 24 percent this year, with bombings by insurgents and airstrikes by international forces the biggest killers. The report said 1,013 civilians were killed in the first half of 2009, 59 percent in insurgent attacks and 30.5 percent by foreign and Afghan government forces. The rest were undetermined.

Associated Press Writer Rahim Faiez in Kabul contributed to this report.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I dotn put much faith in some chairties because they will SAY anything to attempt to get any country they want in trouble. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

I dotn put much faith in some chairties because they will SAY anything to attempt to get any country they want in trouble. 

You think asnine behavior from our Troops can't happen? I was in the Military and let me tell you, it's FULL of morons who act and do childish and brutal things...

I don't know if this really happened, but it could have.

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Where did I say that this DOES NOT HAPPEN?????? all i said is I dotn much faith or take it with a grain of salt what these charites say because some have been known to LIE in order to get what they deem they WANT. and so you were in the military for how long??? BOTH my paternal grandfather and my father and my mother were in the military TRUST me i know all about the ASSINE idiots that they now allow, but what do you expect when during basic you can hold up a "time-out" card??? True heard it from some that went to basic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

You think asnine behavior from our Troops can't happen? I was in the Military and let me tell you, it's FULL of morons who act and do childish and brutal things...

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Where did I say that this DOES NOT HAPPEN?????? all i said is I dotn much faith or take it with a grain of salt what these charites say because some have been known to LIE in order to get what they deem they WANT. and so you were in the military for how long??? BOTH my paternal grandfather and my father and my mother were in the military TRUST me i know all about the ASSINE idiots that they now allow, but what do you expect when during basic you can hold up a "time-out" card??? True heard it from some that went to basic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

You said you don't put much faith in what charities say- thus implying they were LYING about the Troops storming the Hospital. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

I was in the Army for 4 years and worked at Army tv on the 5th floor of the Pentagon during the first Gulf War.  I've never heard of a 'time out' card, what is it?

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Some have lied, I should have said I dont put much faith in them until I can verify with crediable sources what they said, alot of it is up for interpitation, but this coming from a country that KILLS BABIES THAT HAVE BIRTH DEFECTS yea I do have to question everything they say. 

Its where in basic (mind you this was like back in early 2001 before 9/11) if you were getting to stressed with what they were doing you held up a white looking card and like a young child took a "time-out" to give yourself a break. Congrats on being in the military, both my parents were in for 20+ years so im a military brat (yea lots of fun explaining why my birth certifacte did not look like most peoples *rolls eyes*)

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

You said you don't put much faith in what charities say- thus implying they were LYING about the Troops storming the Hospital. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

I was in the Army for 4 years and worked at Army tv on the 5th floor of the Pentagon during the first Gulf War.  I've never heard of a 'time out' card, what is it?

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Some have lied, I should have said I dont put much faith in them until I can verify with crediable sources what they said, alot of it is up for interpitation, but this coming from a country that KILLS BABIES THAT HAVE BIRTH DEFECTS yea I do have to question everything they say. 

Its where in basic (mind you this was like back in early 2001 before 9/11) if you were getting to stressed with what they were doing you held up a white looking card and like a young child took a "time-out" to give yourself a break. Congrats on being in the military, both my parents were in for 20+ years so im a military brat (yea lots of fun explaining why my birth certifacte did not look like most peoples *rolls eyes*)

Wow! That was definately NOT the case when I was in Basic! I was in Alabama (has since closed because of downsizing) where they trained the MPs and my Drill Sgt.'s were all MP's. They were scary and mean and I can't even imagine them letting us take a 'time out'!

surprise mini

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Both my paretns trained in Texas, and yea I know what you mean, some of them scared the crap out of me as a child.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Wow! That was definately NOT the case when I was in Basic! I was in Alabama (has since closed because of downsizing) where they trained the MPs and my Drill Sgt.'s were all MP's. They were scary and mean and I can't even imagine them letting us take a 'time out'!

surprise mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)