Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Die in Louisiana Murder-Suicide

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM
  • 5 Replies

HOLDEN, La. (Sept. 6) – A man shot his estranged wife, son and 2-year-old grandson to death and seriously wounded his pregnant daughter-in-law at their rural Louisiana home, then killed himself as police tried to pull over his car 20 minutes later, authorities said.
The pregnant woman later gave birth, about three months early, her father said.

The shootings late Saturday appeared to stem from an ongoing dispute between 50-year-old Dennis Carter Sr. and his wife, Donna Carter, who had a restraining order against him, Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office Chief of Operations Perry Rushing said Sunday.

The father of the pregnant woman, Amber Carter, said the suspect had a history of abusing his estranged wife and recently tried to attack her with a machete.

"This had been going on for quite some time," Paul Williamson said. "It was one of those domestic violence things that just gets worse and worse."

Another 16-month-old boy was in the house during the shootings but was not hurt. The child was related to the Carters but Rushing was not sure how.

Authorities were called around 10:30 p.m. Saturday to the home in Holden, about 30 miles east of Baton Rouge. Donna Carter, 49, and Dennis Carter Jr., 26, were dead inside. Dennis Carter Jr.'s wife, Amber Carter, was badly hurt and their son, Masson Carter, 2, was found dead outside.

Williamson said Carter Jr. had previously fought with his father to protect his mother.

Rushing said it appeared Amber Carter, who was about six months pregnant, and Masson Carter managed to escape from a second-floor window but it was not clear if the gunman shot them inside or followed them outside and shot them there.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

What is with people now days??? when did we fall back to if I cant have you no one will times??? 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I wish there were more authorities could do to protect those women who have been abused and have orders of protections because it seems when we hear news like this, there is always mention of PFAs and prior abuse. 

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I noticed that as well.

Quoting IhartU:

I wish there were more authorities could do to protect those women who have been abused and have orders of protections because it seems when we hear news like this, there is always mention of PFAs and prior abuse. 

MissBearNMonkey
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM

That's really horrible and sad.

Guns and alcohol: a deadly combination. I realize there's no mention of alcohol in the article, but generally when the details of cases like these come to light, it always seems to be a factor.

sappharie
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

What is with people now days??? when did we fall back to if I cant have you no one will times??? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)