Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Settlements divide Israeli cabinet

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

Jacky Rowland, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Jerusalem, reported on Sunday: "This is an issue where Netanyahu is really coming under pressure from strong forces both inside and outside the country." 

The US, a major Israeli ally keen to re-start the Middle East peace process, wants Tel Aviv to stop the settlement activity as a pre-condition to peace talks with the Palestinians.

However, speaking at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem on Sunday, Uzi Landau, the Israeli minister of national infrastructure, from the Yisrael Beiteinu party said he could not see "any reason to stop construction neither in Tel-Aviv, nor in Jerusalem, nor in Judea and Samaria".

'Reducing construction'

Netanyahu did not address the settlement issue in his remarks broadcast from the Israeli cabinet meeting, preferring to use language that might appeal to both the left and right wings of his government.

"The  type of language we are hearing at the moment is 'reducing the scale' of construction in the settlements, which does seem to be a kind of halfway house which may end up not pleasing anyone," Rowland reported.

"Netanyahu is really facing irreconcilable demands on the one hand for a setlement freeze, a demand pushed by the US and the EU, but on the other hand equally strong opposition to any freeze from within the cabinet."

Building of more settler homes is expected to begin in the days ahead [AFP]

The Israeli and US positions are also unlikely to satisfy Palestinian demands.

Speaking while on a visit to Cairo, the Egyptian capital, Khaled Meshaal, the political chief of the Hamas faction, said: "In terms of normalisation and the freezing of settlements, we warn against any hasty decision on the part of the Arabs in terms of what Obama and Israel are proposing.

"We will take Obama's announcement at the UN General Assembly at the end of this month seriously, but we will not accept the Palestinian cause being reduced to this one issue of a settlement freeze in return for Arab normalisation with Israel.

"The real issue is that of an Israeli occupation of Palestinian land which must end.

"The Palestinians must have the right to self-determination."

Decision imminent

But Yisrael Katz, the transport minister, told Israel Radio: "The prime minister will decide in the coming days on the building of hundreds of additional housing units in order to solve existing problems in various settlements."

Israeli officials announced the new construction on Friday but they also hinted they might halt some building in the occupied West Bank to try to appease the Arab world.

Avishay Braverman, minister of minorities from the Labor party, said: "Most of the settlers will eventually stay in land that will be absorbed in Israel, but many others will have to be dismantled. I think there will be a freezing."

About 300,000 Israelis live in the West Bank and another 200,000 in Arab East Jerusalem, territory captured in a 1967 war.

Palestinians numbering about 2.5 million live in the West Bank and aspire to establish a state there and in the Gaza Strip.

Israel's cabinet has been debating a government plan to press ahead with 2,000 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank.

The issue is dividing the coalition government of Binyamin Netanyahu, the prime minister, with a final decision on whether or not to defy a US demand to halt construction expected within days.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM

and yuo expected what??? this is old news, Im sorry there really is NEVER going to be peace in the middle east no matter what we or any other country do.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

and yuo expected what??? this is old news, Im sorry there really is NEVER going to be peace in the middle east no matter what we or any other country do.

AGAIN, THIS WAS ON THE NEWS TODAY! Just because YOU think nothing can be done and it's a lost cause, does not mean I can't post updates about the NEW situations going on there!

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Its at least 24 hours old in United States time 48 hours old overseas. I NEVER said it was a loss cause just said that there will never really be real *peace* in the middle east it has been in turmoil since time began. who the fuck pissed in your wheaties?

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

AGAIN, THIS WAS ON THE NEWS TODAY! Just because YOU think nothing can be done and it's a lost cause, does not mean I can't post updates about the NEW situations going on there!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Its at least 24 hours old in United States time 48 hours old overseas. I NEVER said it was a loss cause just said that there will never really be real *peace* in the middle east it has been in turmoil since time began. who the fuck pissed in your wheaties?

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

YOU re the one coming to EVERY post I made this morning and basically trying to make me feel like shit for posting news thats like a day old. Not everyone sits in front of the damn TV watching CNN 24/7 and there are many people who haven't heard this news, so these posts are for THEM and for people who actually care about what's going on and want to comment on the situations.

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I dont sit in the front of the "damn TV all day" thanks for ASSuming, I have always been up on what is going on in the news, even if its not from the TV, also how the hell am i making you feel like "shit" i was just pointing out something, what cant handle it????  You do the exact same thing in some of my older posts. where did I say I didnt care???? Please tell me, I do care but there is only so much you can do.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

YOU re the one coming to EVERY post I made this morning and basically trying to make me feel like shit for posting news thats like a day old. Not everyone sits in front of the damn TV watching CNN 24/7 and there are many people who haven't heard this news, so these posts are for THEM and for people who actually care about what's going on and want to comment on the situations.

muslimah
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

it has been in turmoil since time began.

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Im sorry there really is NEVER going to be peace in the middle east no matter what we or any other country do.

The above statements go to show how little you really do know about the Palestinian struggle and israeli occupation.

To start off with, it is not old news. The demands for settlement freeze are going on as we sit here at our key boards and type so is "israels" rejections of the settlement freeze. This is ON GOING

There also cannot be peace until israel does put a freeze on the demolitions of homes on Palestinian land to make way for new israeli settlement. There wont be peace because israel will not allow it with their actions that are OCCURING RIGHT NOW, THIS VERY MINUTE.

And you are wrong, there has not been turmoil since the beginning of time. This statement says more than any of the others how clueless you really are to the situation.

Six wars in 60 years and the disappearance of Palestine

and the undeniable misery for 7 million Palestinians.

One million hostages, three million occupied

and 4 million exiles souls.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)