Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Disgusting Truth about Dog Food (Warning graphic)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

I had read this on another site that was posted on myspace but can't find it right now but it said the same thing this one does. Makes you wanna cook your dogs meals!!I posted from 2 sites so you get the whole story on what really happens.

The Disgusting Truth About Dog Food

rate or flag this page

By petlane

The Truth About Dog Food

Your pets are DYING to eat a treat, literally! Some of the ingredients in pet treats and food is FDA listed POISON. Take for example Ethoxyquin, classified by FDA as a pesticide. Most of the treat and pet food manufacturers and most popular pet stores in the United States openly and knowingly sell pet food and treats made from the worst unimaginable ingredients. Since there is very little pet food industry regulation the manufacturers are given virtual carte blanche.

During the 1990's veterinarians reported to the FDA/CVM that the drug most commonly used for euthanizing pets, sodium pentobarbital, appeared to be loosing its effectiveness. These reports prompted the CVM to investigate the cause, their findings were appalling. In 1988 the CVM initiated the testing of dog food containing the ingredients meat and bone meal, "animal digest" and animal fat. They discovered the presence of the drug sodium pentobarbital in 31 of the 37 pet foods tested. The CVM concluded that animals were building up a resistance to the drug because they were eating food containing sodium pentobarbital. The most likely source of the chemical presence was the use of euthanized animals in the food being tested.

Since dogs and cats are by nature carnivores it is important that they be fed meat-based diets. Proteins used in pet foods come from a variety of sources. When animals are slaughtered, the lean muscle and other desirable parts are kept for human consumption while the other half of the unusable carcass is rendered for pet consumption. This includes: heads, feet, bones, intestines, blood, ligaments, fat trimmings, spleens, livers, UNBORN BABYS and just about everything else you can imagine! These ingredients are called by-products.

Reporter John Eckhouse was one of the first to uncover the practice of sending euthanized pets, along with other sources of "protein" to rendering plants. A rendering plant worker has been quoted as divulging that "thousands and thousands of pounds of dogs and cats are picked up and brought here everyday." Many in the pet food industry deny the practice, however proof continues to surface. Upon in depth investigation it was found that rendering plants sell everything from ROAD KILL, DEAD ZOO ANIMALS AND EUTHENIZED PETS from shelters and veterinary clinics. One plant was found to have rendered 10 tons of dogs and cats per month!!! This Food is in name brand foods and on the shelves readily available at your favorite pet store.

Healthy pet food should NEVER contain meat by-products or "meat and bone" meal. By-product meal is comprised of the dry, ground, rendered parts of the carcass that are deemed unfit for human consumption. By-product chicken meal consists of slaughtered chicken parts such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs as well as entrails. Meat and bone meal are "the rendered cooked down product from mammal tissues, including bone, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices." Keep away from preservatives such as BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin and propylene glycol. Avoid BHA and BHT they are known carcinogens. Ethoxyquin has been deemed a pesticide by the FDA and is banned in human food, but can be found in many pet foods.

What can you do? Examine the ingredients of your pet food with great diligence to ensure that your companion animal is truly receiving the best possible food on the market. The first five ingredients are the most important and should include two protein meals. Avoid grain fragments or hulls and stay AWAY from food with animal fat in it rather than chicken fat. Animal fat could come from ANYWHERE.

Some beneficial ingredients to look for include: Chicken meal, which is chicken that has had the water removed, provides eleven times the protein content of "chicken." Chicken meal, rich with omega-6 fatty acids, is regarded as the single richest source of protein in commercial pet food. ALL of Petlane.com's chicken comes from USDA approved plants and is free range, hormone and antibiotic free! High quality food should contain vitamin and mineral rich grains, herbs and legumes that aid in digestion, promote the healthy functioning of vital organs and improve circulation. Holistic dog foods are a little more expensive but will add years to your best friend's life. Your pet is depending on you to make the choices he or she cannot make for themselves!

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Disguisting-Truth-About-Dog-Food

http://www.thedogfoodconspiracy.com/dog-food-secrets.php

The Shocking Truth About Commercial Dog Food

by Mike Sagman on January 18, 2009

Warning!  The following story is shocking... but true.  It's taken with permission from an article which appeared in the Earth Island Journal:

"The rendering plant floor is piled high with "raw product"... Thousands of dead dogs and cats; heads and hooves from cattle, sheep, pigs and horses; whole skunks; rats and raccoons... all waiting to be processed. In the ninety degree heat, the piles of dead animals seem to have a life of their own as millions of maggots swarm over the carcasses.

"Two bandanna-masked men begin operating Bobcat mini-dozers, loading the "raw" into a ten-foot deep stainless steel pit. They are undocumented workers from Mexico doing a dirty job. A giant auger at the bottom of the pit begins to turn. Popping bones and squeezing flesh are sounds from a nightmare you will never forget.

"Rendering is the process of cooking raw animal material to remove the moisture and fat. The rendering plant works like a giant kitchen. The cooker, or "chef", blends the raw product in order to maintain a certain ratio between the carcasses of pets, livestock, poultry waste and supermarket rejects.

"Once the mass is cut into small pieces, it is transported to another auger for fine shredding. It is then cooked at 280 degrees for one hour. The continuous batch cooking process goes on non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week as meat is melted away from bones in the hot "soup". During this cooking process, the "soup" produces a fat of yellow grease or tallow that rises to the top and is skimmed off. The cooked meat and bone are sent to a hammer-mill press, which squeezes out the remaining moisture and pulverizes the product into a gritty powder. Shaker screens sift out excess hair and large bone chips. Once the batch is finished, all that is left is yellow grease, meat and bone meal."

Welcome to the Dark Side of Recycling

So, what on earth could this unsavory concoction be legitimately used for?

Certainly not to make anything edible... right?

Unfortunately... as hard as it is to believe... the final "product" of this grisly process is sold as a source of protein and fat for making animal feeds.

That's right... food ingredients to be fed to chickens, pigs, cattle... and you guessed it... dogs!

These revolting products are actually used to make dog food.

Every day, hundreds of rendering plants across America ship thousands of pounds of this recycled garbage to ranches, farms, feed lots... and pet food manufacturers.

Each batch of rendered product is labeled... according to its dominant animal source.  That's why on a dog food label you'll see so many ingredients that look like these...

• Poultry by-product meal
  • Meat by-product meal
  • Fish meal
  • Animal fat

All are products of the rendering process.

Toxic Waste and Euthanized Pets

But this same complex system which converts waste into animal feed has also evolved into a recycling nightmare.  That's because rendering plants are unavoidably processing toxic waste, too.

Here's how...

The dead animals are frequently accompanied by a host of unwanted ingredients.  Pesticides enter the rendering process via tainted livestock.

Fish oil is commonly contaminated with mercury and other heavy metals.

Dead pets are frequently thrown into the grinder with their flea collars still attached.  Insecticide-laced patches found on the skin of slaughtered cattle are also carelessly added to the mix.

Antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals follow livestock directly into the soup.  And drugs given to euthanize pets have been regularly found in the rendered product.

Unwanted metal contaminants can be traced to a variety of sources including pet collars, ID tags, surgical pins, and needles.

Even plastics end up getting into the process.

Finding a Use for Spoiled Grocery Meats

Every day, out-of-date supermarket meats as well as spoiled fish and poultry arrive by the truckload... right in their original Styrofoam trays and shrink wrap.  There's simply no time for the tedious task of unwrapping each individual package of the many thousands of rejected products.

Plastic cattle ID lags, pesticide patches and even the green waste disposal bags containing pets from veterinarians are tossed directly into the pit.

As you can see, literally all of it (plastic, paper, cardboard, and whatever) goes right into the rendering machine.

By now, you must be starting to figure it all out.  Much of what goes into dog food is simply what's left over after the processing of human food.  It's what's commonly classified as "unfit for human consumption".

Unfit for Humans... Legal for Dog Food

Here's a short list of some of the unsavory raw materials I've already mentioned... plus a few others.  All of the following ingredients are appalling... yet each can be lawfully used to make dog food:

• Slaughterhouse waste (organs, heads, hooves, beaks, feet)
  • Bread and cereal rejects (cobs, stalks, mill sweepings)
  • Contaminated grain middlings
  • Dying, diseased and disabled farm animals
  • Road kill (deer, skunks, and raccoons)
  • Distiller fermentation waste
  • Spoiled supermarket food
  • Dead zoo animals
  • Restaurant grease
  • Euthanized cats and dogs

The pet food industry can be... at least in part... a sinister waste disposal vehicle for the human food manufacturers... and a way to profit from its own garbage.  Many companies practice legal witchcraft by magically turning their trash... into cash.

My Strongest Recommendation

Learn to readily spot these "profit-first" dog food companies... and avoid buying their second-rate products.

Look for brands made by conscientious manufacturers who take great pride in producing top-tier products... products designed to significantly enhance... and extend your dog's life.

Learn why you should be skeptical of dog food products that claim to be "premium", "natural" or "gourmet".

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/shocking-truth-about-dog-food/

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM

This is absolutely true. I worked at a Vet clinic and all the animals that were euthanized whos owners did not take home were put in a large freezer and every month a rendering truck would come and remove the animals. Unless it was a horse with was removed immediately. You get what you pay for in pet food. I use Solid Gold Wolf King as I have English bulldogs and they have skin allergies form reg. food. Bison and Salmon are the only ingredients. Id like to think there are no unborn Bison for what I pay for it!!  Another shocker is that commercially raised hog farms often toss any baby's that dont look right in to a dumpster to die and then they are removed by rendering trucks and made into dog and even pig food!!  ( please watch Death on a factory farm, HBO special, you wont eat commercially raised pork again!)

Imsupermom2
by Cynthia on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I couldn't read all of this article because it made my stomach sick but thats is horrible. It makes me wonder if they do the same thing with our food...I don't have any pets anymore and I thank god for that 

JGLeagones
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Im not sure what to say..

My husbands dogs sure do love their dog food though, lol and they sure as hell arnt gonna be getting a steak instead

How`s my pregnancy doing?

Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:12 PM

What do you feed your dog? I think you should read alot more than just this before you decide this to be the bible of dog food. What do you think a full raw diet consists of? Most vets don't use pento-barb to euthanise. They use acepromazine.  

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM

It's quite easy to make homemade pet food.

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I never stated this was the gospel but I have known for years that they used dead horses and left overs from other animals for dog food just never dreamed it was this bad. It also says in 1st article that dogs had build up a tolerance to pento- barb.If you ingest enough of anything over time your body becomes immune to it in small doses for the most part.

During the 1990's veterinarians reported to the FDA/CVM that the drug most commonly used for euthanizing pets, sodium pentobarbital, appeared to be loosing its effectiveness. These reports prompted the CVM to investigate the cause, their findings were appalling. In 1988 the CVM initiated the testing of dog food containing the ingredients meat and bone meal, "animal digest" and animal fat. They discovered the presence of the drug sodium pentobarbital in 3137 pet foods tested. The CVM concluded that animals were building up a resistance to the drug because they were eating food containing sodium pentobarbital. The most likely source of the chemical presence was the use of euthanized animals in the food being tested of the

Quoting EireLass:

What do you feed your dog? I think you should read alot more than just this before you decide this to be the bible of dog food. What do you think a full raw diet consists of? Most vets don't use pento-barb to euthanise. They use acepromazine.  

ddbz
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Any dog that I've ever owned has equally preferred dead, rotten, stinky stuff to the finest cuts of steak, so as long as it's pathogen-free, I'm O.K. with it. Dogs and cats are supposed to have a certain amount of fur, hide, bone and other tissues in their diet anyway.

What I understood about dog/cat food was that it had to be suitable for human consumption because sometimes people actually eat it when thay can't afford anything else.

So I'm surprised to see all the pento and other meds, which actually could come from horsemeat.

awooding
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I know, right?

I was at the grocery store the other day and saw this brand of dog food that was so fresh and REAL it needed refrigeration. It was real meats, veggies and grains and may have been organic or all-natural if I'm not mistaken. It looked like good stuff.

Quoting Raintree:

It's quite easy to make homemade pet food.

~~~

Money may help you get by in life,

but it can't teach you how to enjoy it.

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM

My dogs are quiet spoiled they get so many scraps they won't eat dog food till they know there are no scraps today.This is often because I only know how to cook for large # and there is always scraps. I do freeze meats and casseroles and we eat some leftovers but you tend to not want to eat the more than 2 or 3 times.I only buy dog food with 21% crude protien and check for ingredients as the vet instucted me to many years ago.I have found buying at farm centers  you tend to get the better food and a moderate price.

jaxTheMom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I've been singing this one for YEARS. Every time I see a Purina commercial with happy dogs and kids running through the fields, I sneer at the TV.

Pretty much anything you can buy in the grocery store is crap, I don't care what they call it.  Go to Petsmart or Petco, and look for signs (they have them at Petsmart, not sure about Petco) that identify certain brands of food as "holistic" and/or " "human grade".

They'll be brands like Royal Canin, NutraPet, and Blue Buffalo.  The very BEST thing you can do is go "BARF", Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods.  Raw meats, fresh veg, etc.  You can google it and find a lot of information.  It's more expensive but co-ops help. 

We used to do this with our dogs, and because I didn't find a co-op in time, the cost became too much.  I'll tell you something interesting:  Our dogs did not drink the large quantities of water that they now do on a holistic dog food.  Also, their poop (sorry) in the backyard just crumbles up and dissapears within a day or two.

We'd still like to get back to that now that we are in a larger area, but for the time being, they are on Blue Buffalo and get a lot of goodies like carrots, spinach leaves, plain yoghurt and all natural peanut butter.  They LOVE peanut butter, I swear it's like crack for dogs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)