Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If a family can't train their dogs - isn't it also an indication they can't train the kids either. .

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM
  • 15 Replies

If a family can't train their dog(s) - isn't it also an indication they can't train the kids either. . . Both trainings take time and commitment, something families today seem short of. . . .

I bring this up because I'm noticing this problem in families.   Has anyone else?  But at least many of these families WILL pay for a dog trainer - but they insist they don't need or want assistance for the kids!   

Also, remember the Doctor Spok books ?   Wasn't that a failed experiment?  

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Seriously you are equating training a dog with training kids?

First of all kids are not trained they are instructed. To say they are trained makes them brainless robots who are meant only to follow instructions. They have the ability to make decisions outside of the instruction and well they should. 

Now as for training dogs they are only "trained" because they are driven by primal instincts should the fear instinct take over they can attack their owner. Some dogs are likewise shot because after months of "training" they still will not preform on task.

my2boyz117
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as the previous poster...how can you compare training a dog and a child? I don't call it training a child, it's teaching your child.  I guess I don't quite understand this post...some people don't use outside help for their kids, but you know they use a dog trainer???  

Amanda

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I train dogs. I know exactly what you mean. I also run a dog kennel. When someone drops off their furry kid, I can usually tell what their kids are like. And when little Johnny comes with Mom & Pop to pick up the dog.....well, you knew you were right. 

I'm pretty sure the poster is not equating the intelligence of a child with that of a dog. I think she's referring to the inadequacies of the adult in the mix. If they care so little for their child, you sure as hell know they're not training their dog. She's merely speaking the obvious.....persistance, daily actions, repeating several times, staying on top of it, focusing, etc. 

Biancas_mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM

This must be true...my 2 year old DD and my 9 month old golden retriever are out of control!!!   However...my 9 month old DD is a little angel...lol...I guess I just got lucky.  But I love all 3 of them the same.  They are my babies I sit on the floor and they all (yes my goldie too) pile on me and give me kisses and it makes the running, the jumping, the screaming/barking...the climbing temper tantrums all worth it...for the love I get in return...however, my dog has done a better job at house training then my 2 year old..I'm trying to potty train my 2 year old and she has peed on my floor in the last 2 weeks than my dog has his whole life...it's a mess we are going to have replace our carpet...uggghhh... 

mellowmommy64
by Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM

rolling on floorLOL,   I know exactly what you mean!!!   I have both dogs and children I can keep off lead.  All are housebroken and good citizens.

Takes all my time, effort and strength.    Constant job, no vacations but the results are worth it !     Kids and pets everyone can enjoy.

I don't cage train either,  kids or dogs but sometimes the husband deserves a little cage training LOL.

People get pets and have children and don't seem to understand these are living things with constant care requirements.     Maybe they should get stuffed pets,   kids too?!   LOL

grammie6
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I can't agree with this statement at all....my daughter and SIL have done a great job raising their 4 kids but can't train a dog for anything....My husband and I on the other hand have had much better luck getting our dogs to obey than our kids......

coast guardGrammie6

Pepperlynns
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM

ive seen peoples dogs act better than their kids.....

nbr1sahm
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM

You are actually suggesting we *train* our children?!? If you are comparing the two then maybe you are part dog, because the instincts I was born with are those of the human kind...

JGLeagones
by Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM

wow you are comparing children to dogs

How`s my pregnancy doing?

Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net
kiddosX8
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Can you tell me again?? I must have missed it.....where/what is the comparison between raising a child, and "training" a dog??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)