Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have support?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 561 Total Views

Do your family friends, SO, DH ect support you in your choice to live modestly?

I think it's really important to have support in all aspects of our lives, modesty included.  To be totally honest, right now I don't have the best support system.  That's probably a big part of why I have so many slip ups.  It's so easy to lose focus on what's truly important.  I could definitely use a better support system.

But you ladies are great!  I don't know where I would be without you all!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toady07
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Yeah DH totally supports me and it's one of the reasons why I'm in this group is to get more support for the way we have decided to dress our daughter once she is born. We are getting little to no support from people in our church - they feel that we are going way over board, it just suprises me how so many people feel that it's okay for little ones to be "immodest" but it's not for the adults I'm just glad that dh is behind me all the way - not only for myself but for our little one.

CafeMom Tickers
Happy_at_home
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I get a fair amount of support from my hubby.  He strongly supports dressing our daughter modestly and has no problem with me and my long skirts.  That said, I still have jeans and sweat/yoga pants that go on every so often.  I really don't talk to people much about my clothing choices.  My sister thinks I've flipped, but she is a trendy-type and works at Gap.  My 19 year old SIL is actually my biggest supporter and has told me that she has started wearing more skirts lately also.

--Liberty

Mom to Allie and G-man.

Want brutally honest movie reviews and lively discussion about the entertainment industry? Movies, TV, books, video games, or just life in general discuss it all. Check out The Nut Gallery, where we are all just a little crazy.

isra1986
by Group Admin on Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I don't have too much support.
My DH doesn't like that I cover sometimes.

Kenre
by Group Admin on Oct. 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I have no support except here. My husband hates it; his family is ashamed of me; my family makes fun of me; and my neighbors are constantly questioning me (and asking if this is a phase.)  

Somedays I feel like I just should be what everyone else is. That maybe I am making things too hard on myself just to be what I feel I am inside. It would just make everyone else happy if I wasn't me.

It gets tough. Most days I just stay inside the house because it's easier than listening to my DH complain about my dress or my head covering. I even dread doing laundry in my own apartment building.

egyptian_mommy
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM

To be honest, my family isn't all that concerned about it. Although i'm sure the older generation is just glad my boobs and butt are covered haha. My DH...no he is not a good supporter. He never fails to tell me he lieks seeing me in skimpy clothing, and often says I should wear short skirts, low cut tops, etc. His family...well his Grandmother would have jumped for joy at news of me covering lol. She was a devout Muslim. The rest of his family, well I haven't met most of them yet, but I will next week! but, his Aunts all wear hijab so I'm sure they'll be supportive.

MamaKalila
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Yes and no... My husband supports me in it, but he also supports me in slipping up lol. The rest of the family... eh not so much.

smallest_mcNFP blinkie Pictures, Images and PhotosI'm Mom To A Two Year Old BlinkieDue In April BlinkiePregnant and Breastfeeding BlinkieSupport Breastfeeding Pictures, Images and PhotosCloth diaper blinkie Pictures, Images and PhotosRear facing blinkie 2 Pictures, Images and Photoslove my midwife Pictures, Images and PhotosAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
helema24
by Member on Oct. 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM

if all the muslim moms pm me ur email addy i can invite you to a site full of supporters that are sisters only no brothers! i wont keep the addy but youll be auto added to my list when approved so i can give you invites to groups or just give you a tour of sorts!

helema24
by Member on Oct. 17, 2009 at 12:24 PM

my dh said no in the beginning but once he saw me in the cloths he was floored!! he loves helping me pick out abayas and jilbabs and duster style abayas/jilbabs and hijabs! imma get a snood so i can wear the cute ones he got me!

Quoting isra1986:

Familyof3
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 2:31 PM

hello again! <3

well, i get full support from my husband- no matter whether i want to cover or not... but he usually wants me to "modernize" the way i wear hijab lol.. like, let my neck show, as long as im wearing a high collard shirt... but either way, ahmed is a more modernized person.. as well as his family... they are my biggest supporters...he has 2 older sisters who are like my sisters... they have the best advice for everything.

i get no support from my family except for my father... he is my biggest supporter since i converted. ( my father is catholic but considers himself spiritual until he finds the perfect christian religion for him- he isnt fond of what the catholic church has done in the past years and needs to be put in the right direction for him and his life)....

my mother is not supportive, in-fact, we argue about it every time she comes to my house...

i lost most of my cousins, 2 aunts, and i almost lost my sister.... but she turned out to be a supporter... and my grandmother is a supporter so im good over here.. :) thank God.. but i did lose my aunts who i was so close with all of my life and its a shame bc by their actions they proved they only loved me bc i was catholic???? hmm makes me wonder.....

isra1986
by Group Admin on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I have been covering since before I got married, so he knew I covered before we married. He just doesn't like the looks and comments I get sometimes!

Quoting helema24:

my dh said no in the beginning but once he saw me in the cloths he was floored!! he loves helping me pick out abayas and jilbabs and duster style abayas/jilbabs and hijabs! imma get a snood so i can wear the cute ones he got me!

Quoting isra1986:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)