Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Women

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 607 Total Views

Do any of you modest mommies work outside the home or have anything you do from home to make some extra money?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Happy_at_home
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I am a licensed childcare provider.  So I work from home but I hope to go back to school to get my nursing degree once my dd starts school. 

--Liberty

Mom to Allie and G-man.

Want brutally honest movie reviews and lively discussion about the entertainment industry? Movies, TV, books, video games, or just life in general discuss it all. Check out The Nut Gallery, where we are all just a little crazy.

Kodeekins
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I worked up until recently, I absolutely hated my last job, then I found out I had a knack for sewing! After getting a few orders I kissed that job goodbye and now I am able to stay home with my son and make and sell things, which is really awesome when people actually come to get their stuff!!!

toady07
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Yep I work full time out side the home - I'm a dental ass't but I also sell PartyLite candles on the side for some extra money.  

CafeMom Tickers
Familyof3
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM

omg i was a dental assistant for so many years before i met my husband..:( i miss it so much. when my girls are both in school full time i am going back to school and i always wanted to a dental hygienist, and that is my long term goal for myself, which will also benefit my family. maybe my husband could have 2 days off instead of one. i stay at home now, and im searching everywhere for data entry work i can do at home but its almost impossible. i have a 6 month old and a 3 year old and sometimes its chaotic in the house, but im excited to raise them full time until they are ready for school full time and then i can get to school for myself <3

Quoting toady07:

Yep I work full time out side the home - I'm a dental ass't but I also sell PartyLite candles on the side for some extra money.  

RissaBusch
by Group Owner on Nov. 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Haha I'm thinking about going back to school for dental assisting!

Quoting Familyof3:

omg i was a dental assistant for so many years before i met my husband..:( i miss it so much. when my girls are both in school full time i am going back to school and i always wanted to a dental hygienist, and that is my long term goal for myself, which will also benefit my family. maybe my husband could have 2 days off instead of one. i stay at home now, and im searching everywhere for data entry work i can do at home but its almost impossible. i have a 6 month old and a 3 year old and sometimes its chaotic in the house, but im excited to raise them full time until they are ready for school full time and then i can get to school for myself <3

Quoting toady07:

muslimah
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I work outside the home in a halal (Islamic approved) Arabic restaurant. I love my job and our uniforms are very modest.

Black pants

long sleeve black button up shirt

and a long apron that I hate.

toady07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quoting RissaBusch:

Quoting Familyof3:

Quoting toady07:

make sure that you check the schools, I found out that the one I went to was not accredited but found out too late - the only thing that saved me was I was a receptionist at the clinic that I am now dental ass'ting. I'm kinda stuck here because I don't have alot of knowledge or experience that other dental ass'ts have because we don't do alot of other things than basic stuff. Good Luck - I love my job!!!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
Familyof3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM

i absolutely LOVED dental assisting.. and how i wish i could go back and do it again. but it sucks that we have no family here or that is even willing to watch the kids for us for an hour let alone a few days a week. but thats ok i understand.. my mother lives 5 minutes from me and sees my kids MAYBE once a week so whatever <3 lol sorry for that vent haha

Quoting toady07:

Quoting RissaBusch:

Quoting Familyof3:

Quoting toady07:

make sure that you check the schools, I found out that the one I went to was not accredited but found out too late - the only thing that saved me was I was a receptionist at the clinic that I am now dental ass'ting. I'm kinda stuck here because I don't have alot of knowledge or experience that other dental ass'ts have because we don't do alot of other things than basic stuff. Good Luck - I love my job!!!!!!

RissaBusch
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Awesome!  I've heard really good things about it.

Right now I'm just looking to go to our local community college.  I'm going back on my husband's G.I bill because he doesn't want to.  I'm just at a point in my life where I need something.  Some sort of education.  I screwed college up BIG TIME.  Lol, I have 40,000 dollars worth of debt and not a dern thing to show for it.

Lol, and I'm not even paying on the debt yet, just the interest on the loans.  I have 2 more years of JUST interest payments. It. BLOWS. BIG TIME. I was a dumby out of high school.

So yea, life is getting back on track.  I could vent about this all day LOL.

I totally just got so side tracked lol.

We have daycare issues too.  My entire family out here lives in the same neighborhood.  The only one that doesn't work is my cousin's wife.  I can't stand her.  So she's out of the question to watch Danica. UGH.

Quoting Familyof3:

i absolutely LOVED dental assisting.. and how i wish i could go back and do it again. but it sucks that we have no family here or that is even willing to watch the kids for us for an hour let alone a few days a week. but thats ok i understand.. my mother lives 5 minutes from me and sees my kids MAYBE once a week so whatever <3 lol sorry for that vent haha

Quoting toady07:

Quoting RissaBusch:

Quoting Familyof3:

Quoting toady07:

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Nope, no paid work.. full time wife, stay at home, homeschooling mom here! One of the things I do as a sah mom/wife is.... volunteer work! For those who do not know, I am an Attachment Parenting Instructor (including breastfeeding, babywearing, and clothdiapering classes), a La Leche League Leader, and I am in our local Pro Life Ministries organization and do a lot with that! My heart and my life is devoted to educating and supporting loving families!

When our children are (much) older, I may pursue my IBCLC certification (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). Currently I am RLC/CLC (Registered/Certified Lactation Consultant).. it is called Registered/Certified depending on the state you are in. My state calls it "CLC." This is a certification in the medical field. If I do pursue the IBCLC status, I will run my practice out of my home.. our "playroom" was architecturally designed to be an office. We know, because my father was the contractor who designed the blueprints.. LOL.

Unofficially, I also take jobs as a PPD (Post Partum Doula)  for family/friends. I do not charge money, it does count towards training hours for IBCLC (and if I later want to be a DONA certified doula), and it makes me really happy to help a new mom by taking care of all the small details so the post partum mom can focus on bonding with her baby and family! As a CLC, this is okay because I am certified and insured!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)