Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Like talking to a wall (OT) (PIOG) UPDATE!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 639 Total Views

The hearing test was today. We saw the same doctor as last time, because the doctor we requested went on vacation this week. She walked in, recognized Lump, and asked me why I returned. I told her I don't think he is hearing anything. He is behind in speech. He isn't turning to noises or jumping to sudden sounds. He doesn't recognize my voice. He is 10 months old! She shrugged her shoulders and started the exam.

We went into the sound booth and I pulled the chair forward. I knew he could see the screens from where the chair was, because he has wonderful peripheral vision. I got told to move the chair back to the original spot. I told her my concern and she said, "I won't turn on the screen unless he turns his head to the sound." I nodded and trusted her. Well, sure enough after sending the sound in THREE TIMES and not getting a reaction she flashed the screen and he turned his head to the right. I knew the test was over right then and there. He stared at the screen. The lady in front of me couldn't catch his attention to look forward for long. He'd glance at her and then back at the right screen again. Sound after sound... just kept looking for that screen to flash.

We finally leave the booth and she puts in a head phone into his left ear and starts a machine. He plays with the toy dangling in front of him by the other lady in the room. Then she switched sides and he again doesn't turn his head. Only, she put it back into his left and started the test over again. Then his right side again.

"He's passing," the doctor says and she puts in the fluid test machine next. This time he gets angry and tries to take it out of his ears. I pull out his pacifier and put it into his mouth to calm him down. It works. She takes the machine out, puts it away and turns to me.

"Why did you return?" I tell her how he's not trying to talk, mimic, or understands any verbal commands. She tells me it's probably because of the pacifier. I explain to her that this is the first time the thing has left his crib. He sleeps with it, but I brought it along to make sure I had something to keep him calm with. "Does he have older siblings?" Yes. He has two older brothers. "Oh, that's the problem! He doesn't need to say anything. His brothers talk for him." What? Oh, and he's a boy. That's the problem too. See, her 15 month old isn't speaking yet, either, but they aren't worried.

I wanted to punch her in the face. As I was about to leave the room she asked me if I have contacted Early Intervention. "No, I need a referral to do that. I thought he was fine..." She said, "He is. I was just wondering." I asked, "Can you refer me?" She shook her head at me and said, "Maybe when he is 18 months old. If he isn't speaking by then, then bring him here again for another test. We can only do so much for his age now."

Between the audiologist and his pediatrician I feel like I am talking to walls. I found the number for EI. I am calling them in the morning and demanding someone pay attention to my concerns!

UPDATE

E.I. came today for a talk with us. They are setting up for all checks on his development and she gave me another place to check his hearing at (already made the appointment). I am going to call them after lunch to make an appointment. She observed him herself for a while and even put in a referrence for the motor skills tester to check him for possible sezuires (he "forgets" to bring a hand forward when crawling and sometimes also stiffens and falls backwards when standing, but I thought it was normal balance issues). She also noticed that he doesn't latch for long while feeding (a new thing) and will stiffen and cry during it as well. It's not a lack for milk, either, because I could be squirting while he does this. She says it's possible he is having a sezuire. We are now on the track to figuring things out. She is also going to be monitoring his size as well, now.

On another note, they are also going to start services for Monkey as well because of his possible ADD, some behaviors opposition, and because of his tough pregnancy, birth, and infancy she says they should monitor him for possible problems later.

I am glad I am not being ignored any longer and someone has validated some of my concerns (all of them, actually and she added some new ones!)

sunMidsummer!!!pagan 2
RED (2004), MONKEY (2007), AND LUMP (2009) ARE RELAXING IN THE SUN 2010!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Commie_Mommie
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM

sad

I'm sorry to hear about this. My older brother talked for me, but I know for a fact I made little noises and recognised my mothers voice. If it helps you any, my cousins friend thought her little girl was deaf, so she dropped glass dishes, and she never once looked over.

Kenre
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2010 at 9:25 AM

A month ago a pan slipped out of my hands and landed on the floor behind him while he was playing in the kitchen. I scared Monkey and Red (Red flipped out because of his Autism he hates loud sudden noises), but Lump continued playing. Even DH came running into the room to make sure I was alright. I pointed to Lump and Lump looked up at DH and smiled at him. Then turned around to see what DH was looking at and smiled at me. No crying. No screaming. Not even a startle.

I think I'm going to do this in front of his doctor. Show his doctor that this kid isn't responding to sounds. Then I'm going to go against DH and request the test done up in the cities. It's over 3 hours to the hospital there, but I'm going nuts!

Quoting Commie_Mommie:

sad

I'm sorry to hear about this. My older brother talked for me, but I know for a fact I made little noises and recognised my mothers voice. If it helps you any, my cousins friend thought her little girl was deaf, so she dropped glass dishes, and she never once looked over.

Kodeekins
by on May. 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I would go to a different doctor! Just changed dr offices.

Kenre
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM

It's not that easy here. The next audiologist went on vacation this week so we were transferred back to the idiot. Now I have to get my pediatrician to hear me again, but we don't see him until Lump is a year old. We keep seeing the nurses for his growth checks (which he still isn't growing, but the doctor wants to continue to check him before doing testing).

We are stuck. The next audiologist for his age group is 3 hours away and DH refuses to drive that unless the pediatrician (without my bugging him) recommends it.

Quoting Kodeekins:

I would go to a different doctor! Just changed dr offices.

seaglassblu
by on May. 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I  feel your frustration.  Do you think you could talk to your DH about going to a University Hospital for the testing?  Also, I would call your intermediate school district (ISD) and ask about an Early Intervention consultation, I know in our ISD they have their own Audiologist and Speech Pathologist that test for the school district, again this program is for children ages birth to 5.  Good luck, PM me if you care to share, you've talked to enought walls recently!

BiloxiDreams
by on May. 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I just can't understand what that woman must be thinking.  It sounds to me like he really needs to be seen and you need to be taken seriously.  I'm not one for going against my husband in most anything but this would be one case in which I certainly would.  Good luck

Kenre
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM

They are going to come here Thursday morning to evaluate him! I told them my concerns and the lady said she would see me Thursday. It is birth to 3 here, though. After that they go into the school district and start the special education through the school instead of through the state.

Quoting seaglassblu:

I  feel your frustration.  Do you think you could talk to your DH about going to a University Hospital for the testing?  Also, I would call your intermediate school district (ISD) and ask about an Early Intervention consultation, I know in our ISD they have their own Audiologist and Speech Pathologist that test for the school district, again this program is for children ages birth to 5.  Good luck, PM me if you care to share, you've talked to enought walls recently!

seaglassblu
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM

That is good news!  I hope you find someone who will truly listen to you, and help your little one.

Quoting Kenre:

They are going to come here Thursday morning to evaluate him! I told them my concerns and the lady said she would see me Thursday. It is birth to 3 here, though. After that they go into the school district and start the special education through the school instead of through the state.

Quoting seaglassblu:

Kenre
by Group Admin on May. 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM

To be honest, I'm nervous. I don't do well the first time meeting anyone. I am so glad my DH will be here. I was physically shaking when I called them and got the call back (I have a fear of talking on the phone, but it was necessary for Lump). Can you tell me what to expect? Possibly? I hate the unknown so much.

Quoting seaglassblu:

That is good news!  I hope you find someone who will truly listen to you, and help your little one.

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting seaglassblu:

sunMidsummer!!!pagan 2
RED (2004), MONKEY (2007), AND LUMP (2009) ARE RELAXING IN THE SUN 2010!

seaglassblu
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Afraid of talking on the phone?  Me too, I thought I was the only one!   PM me and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Quoting Kenre:

To be honest, I'm nervous. I don't do well the first time meeting anyone. I am so glad my DH will be here. I was physically shaking when I called them and got the call back (I have a fear of talking on the phone, but it was necessary for Lump). Can you tell me what to expect? Possibly? I hate the unknown so much.

Quoting seaglassblu:

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting seaglassblu:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)