Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brand new group! (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

My new group is Anti Walmart Mamas. Here we will discuss all the wonderful reasons to hate the dime store from hell itself.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
seaglassblu
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart.  I refuse to shop there because I feel that they are unfair to their employees and the communities they are supposedly there to serve.  I do understand that they DO employ a lot of people who would otherwise be unemployed, especially in small towns outside the urban circle. They also provide goods at a low price point that make their stores attractive to struggling bargain shoppers.  So although I don't shop there I can't say that I hate Wal-Mart.  I will check out your group though.

Kenre
by Group Admin on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM

We can't shop at WalMart for most things anymore. They don't have a good section for dairy and wheat allergy people... so, we shop at our grocery store because they have a whole section seperated just for people like my son and DH.

We also shop at Target for everything else WalMart holds. We do go in there when we get gift cards, though... or to use the change machine (changing dollars into quarters).

MamaKalila
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM

My mom works there lol...

Which is a reason all in itself.. Seriously they treat their employees horribly. Now I'm not kidding myself about her stories... I know she exaggerates and "everyone" is against her... but I've seen enough for myself to know that they do despite that.

dcwhite4him
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

me, I'm tired of them yelling at kids for a whole lotta nothing.  I suppose if they need to yell at lil ppl whose parent's aren't aware (i dont think so)  but when my 10 year old (who's the size of a 7 or 8 yr old) wants to grab on the cart and I am not only aware but conversating and interacting with her...mind ur own darn business!!!  I'm around my kid enough she's not gonna just fall off !!  I understand this comes from the fact that we love to sue ppl for everything & that is also quite sad imo!!!

Commie_Mommie
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Quoting dcwhite4him:

me, I'm tired of them yelling at kids for a whole lotta nothing.  I suppose if they need to yell at lil ppl whose parent's aren't aware (i dont think so)  but when my 10 year old (who's the size of a 7 or 8 yr old) wants to grab on the cart and I am not only aware but conversating and interacting with her...mind ur own darn business!!!  I'm around my kid enough she's not gonna just fall off !!  I understand this comes from the fact that we love to sue ppl for everything & that is also quite sad imo!!!

Like it or not, that particular Walmartian was only doing his job. You child had the potential to cost the mega dime store money. They get noticed for things like that. Wonderful, isn't it?

ahyesme
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Walmart is pretty much the only place I do any shopping.  When you have small amounts of money and small amounts of other stores available you tend to have small amounts of room to really care how the store treats people .. and besides that .. I actually like walmart

eema.gray
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM

COMPLETELY agree.

We used to live in Po Dunkville, WI.  There was ONE local grocery store, twice as expensive as Wal Mart.  To avoid Wal Mart, the next closest, reasonably priced, grocery stores and clothing stores were 45 minutes away.  My husband and I were both shift workers, getting off at midnight.  Many weeks, it was more convenient to stop at WM on our way home and do our grocery shopping then, then it was to wait until we had a mutual day off and drive into "the city" to shop (besides, in the middle of summer, there is no way on earth you'll convince me that driving 45 minutes (or more) with barely refrigerated meat skyrocketing into the bacterial danger zone is a smart idea).  Not to mention, the gas involved in driving to "the city" pretty much negated the cost savings of shopping at those other stores.

Now, living in a major city, there's really no point for me to shop at WM.  I have lots of choices very close by.  But until local stores and regional chains can change their operations to accomodate shift workers and very small budgets, especially in small towns, I cannot bring myself to dislike WM.  They help small towns and, in those places, are usually much more friendly to a tight budget. 

Quoting ahyesme:

Walmart is pretty much the only place I do any shopping.  When you have small amounts of money and small amounts of other stores available you tend to have small amounts of room to really care how the store treats people .. and besides that .. I actually like walmart

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)