Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head coverings, a question

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

Hi ladies! I have a question for those who cover their hair or used to.  

1.What is your opinion of Christian women who cover their hair with a haijab? (Sorry I KNOW i've spelt that wrong)  

2. Or those who cover only on days they attend church?  

I still keep thinking about head coverings and I know that if I were to do so, I would be the only woman at my church to do so.  I keep being told that it's based on your culture and what "the rules" are, but I'm still questionable about 1 Corinthians 11. I know that my husband DOESN'T want me to cover my hair, but my husband is also a little bit prejudice towards things he doesn't understand. (But he's at a state in his life where he doesn't understand and has a lot of stress, so hopefully he will change his mind one day. )

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ViridianSoul
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't think there's something wrong with covering with hijab if one isn't Muslim, per se. The only thing that's kept me from adopting that style is that I do not care for the idea of being confused for a Muslim (not, of course, that there's anything wrong with Muslims; I just don't want to give people the wrong idea). They have certain practices and greetings they do with each other, and if I were wearing hijab, it would undoubtably confuse both parties and make potential interactions awkward at best.

Instead of going the way of the hijab (and I can understand the interest; I've some interest myself, but won't for the above reasons), I've adopted some other means of headcovering, such as some of the orthodox Jewish styles (tichels) and more conservative Christian styles like manillas.

As far as when to cover goes, I feel that this is a very personal conviction. For me, I decided to cover 100% of the time while awake, because we are commanded to "pray unceasingly" and that women should have their heads covered whenever praying or prophesying. Putting those two together and knowing that I am liable to pray at any moment of the day, I don't want to feel like I have to grab for a cover in order to do so, therefore I spoke to my husband about it and eventually decided to cover full time.

I do hope that your husband comes around in time. Covering is extremely freeing. It leaves you free to submit to him, to God, and to the natural order of things. It also seems to do something to those around you. You look more feminine. People-- especially men-- treat you more like a woman. Perhaps sitting down with him and going over Corinthians 11 in depth as a couple will help bring him around. I was luckier than most in that my husband thought it was a great change and supported me 100% from the moment I hesitantly brought the subject up.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)