Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever get asked....

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

Hey, Does any of you guys ever get kinda bullied by adults because of your choice to be modest? Well, not to long ago, this girl who is a friend of my brother says, "you have really pretty hair why do you always have a scarf on it"? I replied, "Well, I choose modesty because the Bible teaches that when in prayer or prophesying we are to have a covering on our head...& it also says we are not to cease from praying , so I wear one all the time". Then she says (while rolling her eyes), "really, you can't just take it off...you gotta wear it all the time!? I responded, "Well, yes I do and I enjoy doing it very much". She says, "OK, Whatever"!

Is it just me or was that "bully material"? I never push modesty on anyone, EVER! All I do is try to be a good example, ya know! It's kinda frustrating to see how is angers some people when they see me dressed a certain way & with a head covering...it's like they get offended! My thing is, if I were dressing like a pure "Garden Tool" then they would still have something to say! Has this ever happened to you? How do you handle it?

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
5PointedHuman
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Yes, I have. My husband's friend tried to make me the brunt of his jokes. My husband immediately put a stop to it  

frstldyhmsch
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That's not cool on so many levels! I can't believe he did that in front of your husbands face! Way to go hubby for sticking up for you! Thanks for sharing, it's good to know I'm not alone 

thank you

Kenre
by Group Admin on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh yeah. On Christmas my sister invited me over. Her BIL called to complain about his night out with a crappy chick he picked up from a bar. Well, he was on speaker phone and my sister told him I could hear him. He then said, "Well, that's the one who is afraid of her body, right?" I yelled out that I'm certainly NOT afraid of my body. Then my BIL (my sister's husband) said back to his brother, "Nope! I saw her ankle once! Almost felt like I was cheating on my girl when I did, too." I rolled my eyes and decided to go watch whatever they had on the tele in the other room. I get it a lot, but really, I don't have to explain it to anyone and I don't have to be offended. As long as I know that what I'm doing is right for me and my family, then I have no problems.

frstldyhmsch
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Good for you!...ya know, it's truly disgusting to review reality....when we do, we see that if you dress like a whore you are considered popular and fun...but that's what is portrayed on T.V. every friggin day!....it's the norm now and we are looked at like weirdos lol....I'd rather be a weirdo than a whore any day....Modest Power!

Quoting Kenre:

Oh yeah. On Christmas my sister invited me over. Her BIL called to complain about his night out with a crappy chick he picked up from a bar. Well, he was on speaker phone and my sister told him I could hear him. He then said, "Well, that's the one who is afraid of her body, right?" I yelled out that I'm certainly NOT afraid of my body. Then my BIL (my sister's husband) said back to his brother, "Nope! I saw her ankle once! Almost felt like I was cheating on my girl when I did, too." I rolled my eyes and decided to go watch whatever they had on the tele in the other room. I get it a lot, but really, I don't have to explain it to anyone and I don't have to be offended. As long as I know that what I'm doing is right for me and my family, then I have no problems.

HaydensMom178
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Hey, yall!  Chiming in here with my 2 cents-late as usual!  Ok, here's the thing:  I've been bullied a LOT about being modest-even my parish priest seemed confused by why I covered, which was absurd to me as it's in the Bible.  Also, tried to blame my modesty on marital problems we had at the time-even though they'd started before I became modest!  So, yeah....of course, definitely by my family.  Lately, I've been wearing pants more.....I am planning to go back to skirts again, though!  Also, I have just given up on covering my hair-not because of bullying but because nothing seems to work for me.  I've tried scarves, but I can't even make them stay.  I've tried snoods, same problem.  Tried hats, didn't like the ones I bought.  I had worn hijab for awhile but, while it was the most effective covering, it was too much pressure on me to take it off.  So, I think I'll just braid and/or bun my hair.  It's grown out a lot now and I'm hoping it's long enough to braid-I'm trying to find out but it's incredibly difficult for me to do myself!  Lol.  Gotta check youtube to find some instruction vids.  Also gotta do that for bunning my hair.  I still cover in church, though.  May get a chapel veil for in Church specifically.  They are so beautiful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)