Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stay at home working mom????? Sorry it is long...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 355 Total Views

ok so here is the deal. We recently had a car lot and car detailing shop.. I did all of the detailing, and most of the car sales. But we have decided to make some big changes in our lives and I am staying home now. I have two young kids and stay pretty busy..making bread, I make most of our food from scratch and most of our detergents and things like that also. Hence the changes i mentioned before ...lol ( we also shut down our car lot)

But I have been having people actually stop at my house and ask me if i am still doing the detailing. Aparently I am good at it. All I know is that if i start cleaning something it is going to be stopless when I am done. And I dont charge too much either...

It would be nice to get the extra money but i just dont know. I dont want to work work.... but I would a little on the side.... But the only prob is that when i do it I stay BUSY.... Like 6 cars a week....

I want to be a stay at home mom. So do any of you think it would be bad to work from home as long as i set limits on how many i did a week?

I could have four cars lined up tomorrow, and at close to $100.00 a car that is pretty nice.

Sorry I am rambling... I am just so confused. I dont want to get back in the working rut again. Cause it is one of those things that grabs ahold of you and sucks you in and the next thing you know you are working full time and you kids are in daycare.... I shudder at the thought of ever sending them there again....

ANy advice would be great! Is it possible to work and stay home?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
uggs-lover
by Group Admin on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:05 AM

If I were you, I would do maybe 2 cars a week....if you are that in demand, you could create a schedule...no need to make yourself crazy sweetie.....

FiberMama
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM

i work 6 hours, one day a week out of the home, mostly because we could use the money and it gives me some much needed time speaking to grown ups lol i think if you like the work and feel it would be worth it, go ahead and do a day or two a week, you will still get to spend full time hours with your kids and personally i like feeling like i'm contributing financially to my family as well.

PolandMomof3
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I would only do like 2 cars each week and you can always add an extra one later but for now just a lil extra cash helps and you wont have to put your kids in daycare.Schedule them for when hubby is home and he can watch the kiddos a whil you do that or just do something to keep them very busy depending on their age maybe plato outside or making mud pies for boys mine loved making sand pies while i worked outside in the garden when they were younger. Hope that helps.

Kris1956
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Heck, I would take as many as I could handle and let it finance other dreams.  It could be seed money for a home business you really love.  With the economy the way it is, it might be prudent to stay ahead financially.

Kriswelcome spring.gif

Casper1111
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I'd say line up 2-3 cars a week depending on what your money situation is like that week, if you got bills due and such do 3 if not and you are just bringing in some extra cash keep it down to 2. If people are asking you to do it for them, they will also be willing to schedual and wait. If you find that 3 is taking away too much time from your family cut back down to 2 and if you find that 3 is working out okay and you'd maybe like to add another 1 go for it, the great thing about working from home is you don't always have to have the same schedual you do what works best for you....:)

deniseswanton2
by on Apr. 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM

do what your heart tells you, i have never had the option to stay home. especially now my hubby is in school and has not worked in 2 yrs due to the economy and the housing downfall, he built houses for 23yrs. 

sandhillsis
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM

First good for you for staying at home with your kids. You can always make money later, but you can never get this precious time back with your children.

Second, wow, you could have something on the side. Lots of SAHM would love that. So the question is how much time to give to it if at all.

If I were in your shoes..I would start small, you can always add more. And the other trick would be not to set yourself up to where you HAVE to have the money from the side business--or you'll fall into that "I have to work" trap.

You're doing good girl, keep up the good work.

Sandhill Sis

3BearsMama
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Greetings,  I agree totally!  Having been self-employed ourselves, number one, if you're good, you'll always have people lined up.  Number two, if you don't set limits you will always be inundated with customers...not just wanting you're services, but stopping by "whenever they're in the neighborhood" and the list goes on.  I'd sit down and think about what you want to commit to...i.e. hours, days, boundaries (the stopping by) etc....then I would (personally) start with committing to doing one car a week and do only that much for a few weeks and see how it works out.  Life changes, some days are busier than others and you want to make sure you don't take on so much you end up not being there for your dh or your children.  At that time you can always call your next customer and tell them you can get them in earlier (BONUS!) instead of calling them to put them off or begin committing to two a week.  First come, first on the list, for one month and keep a list going, but make sure you at least make a flyer with acceptable hours for calling or stopping by (unless it really doesn't matter to you or hinder your schedule).  If you don't set your schedule and your boundaries, your customers will!  Congratulations at having something you can do on the side and being good enough at it that you can help your family.  Good luck with your new adventure!

Blessings, Paula

Quoting sandhillsis:

First good for you for staying at home with your kids. You can always make money later, but you can never get this precious time back with your children.

Second, wow, you could have something on the side. Lots of SAHM would love that. So the question is how much time to give to it if at all.

If I were in your shoes..I would start small, you can always add more. And the other trick would be not to set yourself up to where you HAVE to have the money from the side business--or you'll fall into that "I have to work" trap.

You're doing good girl, keep up the good work.

Sandhill Sis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)