Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

JMO Whats yours

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

OKso I am one of those uptight moms that will not even let my child go 10 feet from me! My 13 year old son is just now getting to go do things w/ out me! Up untill this year he was not even allowed to leave our street. Last weekend was the 1st time he stayed the night at a friend from schools house. I know cut the cord but, people take kids all the time. There's is a little girl on our street that is always outside by herself. Her mother can NOT see her from there house. I just thank this lady is crazy. This little girl is maybe 6 or 7 but the size of a 4 year old.  She is always at the end of the street by herself (no other kids) someone could just grab her and go! Now I live in a nice middle call neighborhood but, COME ON!  Monday the kid was outside till after 8pm w/ no other kids. Am I the only crazy mother that thinks someone could grab my kid!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lmcnaught830
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:36 PM

HELLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  You are not crazy!!!!!!!  My daughter is 15 months old and has NEVER been in daycare, NEVER spent the night at her grandparents home (without me, that is), NEVER EVEN STAYED BY HERSELF WITH HER OWN DADDY (not saying I don't trust him, it's just I am a little paranoid)!  I have maybe been away from her for about 10-20 minutes (and that was because my dad; her grandpa; told me to go because she was getting tired and needed formula)!  OMG, if I were you I would def. go say something to this mother.  Maybe she does not know what is going on out in this world!  Maybe she needs to have an enormous dose of reality!!!  Gosh I can't tollerate parents like this!  I just want to screammmmmmmmm!

MADJGNLAW
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I believe everyone has a right to their way of parenting as long as the don't put their child in danger. And to me, this mother sounds lazy sorry to say and is risking this poor little girls life. I have never let my kids stay the night anywhere and I have 4. Ages from 21 yrs, 22 yrs, 25  yrs and a 3 yr old that all will have a birthday coming up.  My kids moved out when they were in their 20's with an education and jobs.  I always was the neighbourhood mom, all the kids stayed here, sometimes 9 at a time and I did not care because I knew where my children were. I always gave them their space as I had a playroom downstairs and just would check in on them and it worked out for me. Now, not everyone can do that, I had my mother that helped me watch the kids in my home when they were school age while I worked for an hour or so. Then people wonder why their child goes missing. I hate to say this, I feel bad for Sandra Cantu's mother I really do. But why was that 8 yr old walking around alone?  Did the mother not check to see who her neighbours were?  Each place I have lived I check before I move who is a RSO in that area.  I just think some parents feel it's easier to let the children go free so they don't have to deal with the responsibility. But that is just me. No offence to anyone. Just a thought cartersmommy407 I have been in your shoes. Sometimes if you become friends with a parent like this you may be able to educate her on what is going on in the world. Some don't even bother to read the paper or watch the news.  If you have children that age you can invite her over, keep an eye out on the child the best you can. Ease your way into this mother's heart and express your concerns and the statistics of how many little girls have died in the last year.  She may need a wake up call. All you can do is try and see where it goes, who knows this mother may thank you some day from helping her protect her child. Just a thought. I am glad you cared enough to share and hope this will be of some help.

JulieK32
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Quoting MADJGNLAW:

I believe everyone has a right to their way of parenting as long as the don't put their child in danger. And to me, this mother sounds lazy sorry to say and is risking this poor little girls life. I have never let my kids stay the night anywhere and I have 4. Ages from 21 yrs, 22 yrs, 25  yrs and a 3 yr old that all will have a birthday coming up.  My kids moved out when they were in their 20's with an education and jobs.  I always was the neighbourhood mom, all the kids stayed here, sometimes 9 at a time and I did not care because I knew where my children were. I always gave them their space as I had a playroom downstairs and just would check in on them and it worked out for me. Now, not everyone can do that, I had my mother that helped me watch the kids in my home when they were school age while I worked for an hour or so. Then people wonder why their child goes missing. I hate to say this, I feel bad for Sandra Cantu's mother I really do. But why was that 8 yr old walking around alone?  Did the mother not check to see who her neighbours were?  Each place I have lived I check before I move who is a RSO in that area.  I just think some parents feel it's easier to let the children go free so they don't have to deal with the responsibility. But that is just me. No offence to anyone. Just a thought cartersmommy407 I have been in your shoes. Sometimes if you become friends with a parent like this you may be able to educate her on what is going on in the world. Some don't even bother to read the paper or watch the news.  If you have children that age you can invite her over, keep an eye out on the child the best you can. Ease your way into this mother's heart and express your concerns and the statistics of how many little girls have died in the last year.  She may need a wake up call. All you can do is try and see where it goes, who knows this mother may thank you some day from helping her protect her child. Just a thought. I am glad you cared enough to share and hope this will be of some help.

I am like you I feel sorry for the Cantu family but why on earth were they allowing her to walk around by herself. I would never allow my kids to do this at all. I have 4 a 10 year old, a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. And they are not even allowed to play in the yard by themselves and there is only 3 houses on our street!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)