• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome Please introduce yourself!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 667 Total Views

My name is Lynn and I am a stay at home mom to 3 boys. Our life is filled with chaos and clutter and I am making an effort towards becoming a minimalist by getting rid of all of the useless stuff that we don't need. I am starting in my kitchen and cutting back to one coffee cup per person. I would love to chat with you all, your tips for detaching from stuff, and see a picture of your favorite cup :-)

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemy3azboys
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM

My name is Shannon, I'm a SAHM to 2 boys.  I too go crazy with our house full of things that need to be clean, organized, maintained, picked up, etc etc.  I dont know how far I can go without revolt from my family but would love to exchange ideas & inspiration for streamlining our home & lives.

~ Shannon ~

FiberMama
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Nice to meet you! I did a ornado cleaning blast through my house and got rid of a lot of the clutter except that a lot of it is just crammed in the closets lol I got rid of the extraneous coffee cups and a bunch of extra dishes we never use as well. Then i started in the bathroom I figure it's the smallest room so you should be able to get it done the quickest and have an immediate sense of gratification. Then i'm going to work on our side room, it's the worst. I figure once the easiest and the smallest are done, the rest should be cake right?

wooly
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My name is Yvette.  I am a sahm empty nester of three boys.  I've been going thru the kitchen and my closets and trying to go thru my craft room.  I used to own a knit shop so I have lots of yarn and wool.  I have a floor loom, I'm never going to use , so I'm going to sell that.  We've already sold several pieces of furniture we decided we didn't need, and I've been donating clothes out of my closet I know I'll never wear again.  Now I need to do the downstairs closet.  I even have comforter sets, I kept when I bought new ones that need to go.   I'm just getting started with the whole house.  I set it aside as I come across things for a huge yarn sale when the snow melts.  Biggest thing I'm getting rid of is knick knacks, just something else to catch dust.  The special things are in a curio cabinet the rest of it is going.  Even the dog has too many toys, a lot he never touches, but I guess I'll leave him alone.  Maybe this group will help keep me stimulated.

FiberMama
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

welcome aboard!! as I already mentioned i'm a little jealous of your yarn but i am also trying to pare down any compulsive yarn buying so i need to behave myself LOL keep us updated how your sales go! I originally used to hang onto stuff with the intention that i would sell it at some point either via ebay, etsy, consignment or yard sale and never got to it so i'm just giving stuff away. whats interesting is it seems like the more i give away the more stuff people seem to give to me, but stuff i can actually use and want rather than the junk that has just been laying around collecting dust for so long. its really cool.

FiberMama
by Group Owner on Feb. 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM

We have quite a few new members, please hop right in and post an intro!

poisson
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Hey there everybody!  I'm Elsie & a sahm to my precious baby boy. 

I have been a packrat for many years.  I come from a whole family of packrats & they have loaded me up in the last few years so I feel many days that I am drowning in STUFF! 

I was always sooooo busy & never really had the time to deal with it all.  I moved back to GA when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant & had D. a month later.  That didn't give me a whole lot of time to get this house in order.  I didn't even bring all my stuff on the first trip & everytime I thought I had things under control, my dad would bring another truck load of stuff!  (He's made 4 trips - LOL).  Anyway, it is my mission in life to get rid of all the clutter & useless junk esp. because I don't want D. growing up thinking that having piled up cardboard boxes all over the house is normal. 

I sew & do collage & other crafty things so I have tons of stuff related to that.  I love music & I love to read so I have tons of music & books, etc.  I majored in Fashion Design so I love clothes & have way too many. 

I have made great strides over the last year in all areas but I still have a long way to go.  I found Fly Lady some time last year & I loved the concept of weighing your stuff to keep track of what you have gotten rid of.  I actually lost track but I think I got rid of about 300lbs. worth of stuff!   I've learned a lot reading books & blogs about this sort of thing.  Hopefully, I can help motivate others & stay motivated myself in this group.

poisson
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Quoting FiberMama:

welcome aboard!! as I already mentioned i'm a little jealous of your yarn but i am also trying to pare down any compulsive yarn buying so i need to behave myself LOL keep us updated how your sales go! I originally used to hang onto stuff with the intention that i would sell it at some point either via ebay, etsy, consignment or yard sale and never got to it so i'm just giving stuff away. whats interesting is it seems like the more i give away the more stuff people seem to give to me, but stuff i can actually use and want rather than the junk that has just been laying around collecting dust for so long. its really cool.

I totally agree with this!  One of the things that really struck me was seeing that guy - can't remember his name but he was the first guy on that Mission Organization show.  Anyway, he was on Oprah & he was talking about how clutter holds us back from so much. They also talked about how getting rid of stuff that you don't need makes room for the stuff you actually do want.

I moved back to KY a few years ago & moved into my grandparents house.  They had been into flea markets & collecting all kinds of antique glassware, figurines, etc.  My job was to clean out the house & get rid of all of it.  At the same time, my mom & stepdad were moving out of the house I grew up in.  They brought over 3 truckloads of stuff because I was having a monster yard sale.  Well, I had 3 yard sales that summer & I spent way more time getting ready for them & dealing with all the stuff than it was worth.  I decided never to have a yard sale again.  I've joined Freecycle - if you have one in your area, I highly recommend it.  I take tons of stuff to the battered women's shelter & then a lot to Goodwill. 

It has been so awesome - the more I have gotten rid of, the more things that I have been wanting or needing have just shown up & most of them have been Free!  So cool.

FiberMama
by Group Owner on Feb. 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I like freecycle as well! i've also done the whole moving pregnant or with a small baby (about to move with a baby again lol) several times now (in fact i think every time we've moved i'd either been pregnant or with a nursling?) and that definitely contributes to clutter. you're just too tired to deal with it! welcome aboard!

dogmom
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Hi, my name is Barb and I am mom to two adult sons.  Hubby is retired and on disability, I am trying to get disability, I have Epstein Barr and Chronic Fatigue, with a bit of fibromyalgia thrown in, I have not been able to de clutter, I mean REALLY de clutter for a long time.  We are in transition right now, living in our little summer place in western WA state, have been here for 6 months since we sold our home in southern Utah.  That was an ordeal, this place is fine for vacation but 800 square feet is...well, its very confining.  We have 3 storage units still in Utah full of STUFF.  Our house there sold so quickly after being on the market for 10 months, we didnt have time to get rid of stuff, just shoved it in storage.  We are in the process of  buying another home in Northern CA, where we are originally from, and when that stuff gets there from storage, I don't want to let any of it in the house.  I also have tons of clothes that don't fit anymore, been hanging on because I am going to lose this weight and wear them agan.  I am so tired of looking at them and moving them and listen, I am never going to be a size 10 again.  I have two sets of fine china.  One is mine from when we got married, the other belonged to my grandmother.  What am I going to do with THAT.  I'll keep mine, but I am not that sentimental anymore.

Well this kind of turned into a vent..sorry..anyway I am hoping for some friendship, and inspiration!

wooly
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 9:09 PM

welcome and as a mom on disability, with a disability , did you know there is a group here to support mom's on or trying to be on disability?  Nice knowledgeable group of women.  It's called Moms on Disability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)