Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you give your under 2 year old for chest congestion???

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter will be 2 in January, and she has really bad chest congestion. She sounds like she's losing her voice and when she gets worked up (crying) or after a cough, it sounds like she's struggling to breath a little. I tried to call her pediatrician, but they were closed today. I thought maybe someone on here could help me out... Does anyone know what I can give her (or do to help) to break up the mucus??? It sounds HORRIBLE! The Mucinex stuff I see is for 4 and up... And I haven't seen anything else. Anyone know? If not, I will call her pediatrician monday, unless it gets worse... Then I will call the hosp. for some advice.... Just thought I'd check :) Thanks ladies!

by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Buggy979
by Danette on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM

kids musinex. It only took 24 hrs to work on my girls but you also may want to call your 24 hr hot line if you have one. I would also go with the humidifier

babygirlsierra
by Member on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Humidifier, Vapor rub and elevate the matress.. Because none of the OTC (over the counter)  meds dont' work and was advised not to by her pedi.

gallo
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Take her in the shower with you.  The steam will help break everything up.  Not too hot though!

Katenemsmom
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Vicks Vapo Rub and a humidifier work very well. 

LilMamaNiu
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

i'm dealing with the same thing except with my 7 month old son...we are just sweating it out since he is too young to take anything. lots of liquids, humidifier, and a lil baby vicks. he also eats and sleeps sitting up =( poor lil babies. best of luck to you and yours.

wildflowerkej
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

They have a baby rub for infants that I use on both of my kids that works really well.  I put some on her chest and on the bottoms of her feet and under her nose.  Hope she gets to feeling better.

taylormom82
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I know it sounds crazy but Vicks Vapor on the feet and then put socks on her. A lady suggested it for my 8 month old and it worked like a charm! Also I gave my now 5 year old Triamenic(spelled wrong I know) the yellow kind at this age. I think I gave about 1/2 a tsp. It wont hurt her and it will help.

432mommy
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

My dd (15months) has chronic respiratory problems. We constantly run a cool mist humidifier in her room at night, she sleeps w/ a pillow (per her dr.) to keep her head elevated, and she does breathing treatments at least twice a day. When a cold or any type of congestion comes along I automatically go for benadryl. For her age and weight her dr. says to give her 3/4 tbs.

ChrissyLynn08
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I have the baby rub stuff, but will that work for in her chest? Her nose isn't too... Clogged.... It's running, but it's mostly in her chest. Will that still work? OMG you would think this was my first child! LOL I am close to brain dead when it comes to remembering things like this from baby #1! Haha! Thanks for the ideas girls, I'm hoping it helps! I do have a humidifier for their bedroom... Guess it's time to break it out already! UUuugggg.... lol

taylormom82
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Quoting LilMamaNiu:

i'm dealing with the same thing except with my 7 month old son...we are just sweating it out since he is too young to take anything. lots of liquids, humidifier, and a lil baby vicks. he also eats and sleeps sitting up =( poor lil babies. best of luck to you and yours.

My little one is 7 months old too and we are finally over this mess. I alternated his reg formula bottle with pedialight to help thin the mucus and also gave him a ton of juice and water bottles to help flush him out.  Also the vicks on the feet with socks over it works awesome. I tilted his mattress but really the best thing for it is just give them tons of water and juice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)