Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cough suppressant?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:49 AM
  • 5 Replies

So yesterday DD's nose started running (it's running clear so far) and later that afternoon she started coughing (a result of the drainage, I'm sure) but I've been awake for about an hour now because I can hear her coughing in her room (she's still asleep, lol, just not me) and I'm concerned! It's not croupy, it actually sounds very dry. We don't have a humidifier, but I'm boiling a pot of water to get some moisture in the air. 

My question is, is there a recommended cough suppressant for kiddos under 2? She's 20 months, so very close. Children's Tylenol Cold makes her a little monster, as does Benadryl (though Benadryl's not a cough suppressant anyway.) I've heard about Mucinex for kids but that's an expectorant and I don't think it would help. 

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dara0820
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM

No advice hun as I'm pregnant with my first..so idk. but here's a bump! Good luck

BaileynMe
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:08 AM

Thanks for the bump. :-)

armywife8243
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:26 AM

they have cold'n cough by hylands that are r for ags 2 and up. they also have just cough. you can get it at wal mart it works great.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM

I think a childrens brand makes lollipops with zinc in them but no actual chemicals  or you can try a tsp of honey to help her soothe the throat.   Also decaf brewed tea w/ lemon and honey would help.  If you have the money there are plug in things that Vicks makes to help with the cough, it fills room with a menthol scent.

BaileynMe
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM

I will look for the hylands and the lollies. I'd totally forgotten about the plug in. I have vicks to rub on her chest but she was asleep before I got home (long story short, my grandparents came into town and were at my parent's house but DH was too tired to go over after work so I went by myself) so I didn't get to rub any on her chest. 

Really I think the cough is more due to tickle at this point than congestion because it sounded so dry, and while her nose IS runny, it seems to have slowed down a bit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)