Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on my step son. We just got a load of paperwork.. his mom is being charged with neglect . she got caught shoplifting with kids.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

Well on oct 9th we got a whole bunch of court paperwork from the state of Colorado. My step sons mom is being charged with neglect. She got arrested for shoplifting on July 30th. She informed us of the what she didnt tell us was she was having the kids shoplift for her and they had 200 worth of stuff on them( the little girl is not actully my his although he is the father role in her life). Anyways  his son has been in the custody of cps and then the moms  sister ( the kids aunt). not 1 time was my husband contacted about this situation !!!!!!!!! She at first told the cps people that my dh was a john doe and had nothing to do with his son! She is also being charged with being croniclly homeless( neglect as well), jobless etc. then she gave a name but no contact information! We have had the same phone number for almost 4 years! To top this off we saw the kids the middle of Sept for their bday. Again no one said anything about cps being involed etc. My question is .. my dh is contacting colorado cps ( we are in kansas) we live in a 2 bedroom house and have a almost 7 year old daughter. If we give my step son our room and get a sleeper sofa for dh and I to sleep on until we can get out of our lease.. It will be 1 year in may. does anyone think this will be ok ?

I am a 25 yr old Mommy to one soon to be 7 yr old girl  , Step mommy one 10 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl, Happily Married to the love of my life, Roman Catholic, Catholic School sending, Conservative Gymnastics and Allstar Cheer Mommy,  100% Pro-life..Kansas Princess :)

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheena20
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

i have been thought it how old is the little boy

ShannieP
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

It would be ok with me,but I dont know what the state would say.

MrsArnett
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

my stepson is now 10 he was 9  at the time

Quoting sheena20:

djdouglas60
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I don't know how it is there, but I went through the same thing here in Ga. with my step daughter. I had two boys and two bedrooms. They looked at the house and oked it. As long as she had a place to sleep it didn't matter. They only required a pile of rubbage to be removed from my back door where the landlord had left it after redoing the kitchen floor.

I believe that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

sheena20
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

You can ask them  i dunno with him beaing 10 and your DD beaing 7..well i know in VA they can stay in the same room till they are 13 i think about that age.so it should be ok..even if he does sleep on the couch or if you say he will share a room with you or ur DH i know my  baby shares a room with us or maybe if you can put ur dd in yalls room for the time beaing..i dunno i dont think that CPS will say anything about it not here in va anyways...

Quoting MrsArnett:

my stepson is now 10 he was 9  at the time

Quoting sheena20:

farrah
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

In the state of Florida it is just required to have a bed for each child, so although laws vary by state I would think that this would be fine. Also, I would talk to your landlord and explain the situation they may let you out of your lease, its worth a shot you know.

ShannieP
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

you may want to check with your landord and your state. Even if CPS oks it, some states have laws about the number of people that can occupy a living space.

gypsydancer7
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Quoting sheena20:

You can ask them i dunno with him beaing 10 and your DD beaing 7..well i know in VA they can stay in the same room till they are 13 i think about that age.so it should be ok..even if he does sleep on the couch or if you say he will share a room with you or ur DH i know my baby shares a room with us or maybe if you can put ur dd in yalls room for the time beaing..i dunno i dont think that CPS will say anything about it not here in va anyways...

Quoting MrsArnett:

my stepson is now 10 he was 9 at the time

Quoting sheena20:

WOW...in MI they can only share a room until age 2

Earth-Angel
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

In Oklahoma, boys and girls can share a room, until age 5. 

MrsArnett
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM

bum

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)