Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she testin me or what

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM
  • 4 Replies

is this a tantrum or not? my Daughter is 1 yr old & i notice that when i tell her she cant have something or not to do something shell will fall on the  hit her head start crying. What should i do? How do i go about discipline a 1 yr old letting her no that it's not ok.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kali86
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

My 1 yr old son will throw himself on the gound when i take something away also..I'm not really sure there is much you can do about it.. I think they are just learning to express their feelings. and as for diciplining just saying no and moving them away from the situation is all i do.

MamaCass21
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Yep, classic tantrum behavior. What I do with my son is this: Tell him that I'm sorry that makes him angry, but he's not going to play with the knives because knives aren't safe. Try to figure out what she's feeling, and name that feeling. IF she's angry, say something about "I know you're angry because mommy did this" or maybe "Did it make you sad when Mommy took your toy away?" She doesn't have the words to express her feelings yet, so if you can help her name them, it might make her feel a little better. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM

You can do a few things. You can WALK AWAY. Lots of moms find this effective. Ignore it completely.

You can re-direct. This is good too. Take her to another part of the room, start her playing with a toy, find SOMETHING ELSE.

Depending on how many months she is exactly, and what YOU think she understands, the corner is an option too. That's what I did when my now 3 yo was 14 mo. She had a dangerous habit of climbing onto the kitchen counter. It took one day of holding her facing the corner to break that habit, and after that she knew what "the corner" meant. HTH!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM

she is trying to get attention.  Ignore the behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)