Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding Help

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, I'm getting married next year (August 28th, 2010) and I have a weddin budget of $5,000.00. I need help with any ideas on saving money. I have already found my dress, it is $850.00, which the price sucks but I really like it and I don't think I can find another dress  like it.. If you have any advice or ideas PLEASE REPLY.. Also my reception is gonna kinda be a candy theme (LOVE CANDY LOL).. Thanks in Advance

Please BUMP if you don't reply..

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

where are you having it? are you religious?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM

ebay is a blessing for a bride to be you can get just about all you need on there from buttonholes to cakes you can even find your honeymoon on there .good luck with the wedding

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Quoting ps.iloveyou:

where are you having it? are you religious?

I want to haave an outside wedding.. I'm thinking like SHAW NATURE RESERVE for the wedding, but there are no options for if it rains so thats outta the question.... and Im not too picky on a religion..

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Keep things simple - buy flowers when they are on sale - and buy lots!
Usually when renting Tuxes, they have a rent "x" amount get one free.
Talk to the Men in the families, See if they have more than one Tux and if they'd be willing to let one of the groomsmen borrow it.
Buy the invitations at a crafts store and print them yourself
If someone in the families knows photoshop, or has a friend who is a photographer, maybe they can give you a discount.
Buy disposable cameras, Set them around - you'll have lots of awesome pictures!
Hope that helped some!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Do you have a parent or family friend that you can get married in their backyard? Have the reception in a church basement or something? Community centers are often very expensive, just look around and see what you can come up with.
For the bridesmaids- don't hesitate to have them all wear a different style of dress, check sales (esp after prom and things like that!). I had a black and white wedding with red flowers and my 3 attendants all had black dresses but in completely different styles. It was a lot of fun but still looked very nice!
For the guys- there's no need for tuxedos, or even suit jackets if you don't want. Slacks, shirt and a tie, especially with a vest, looks very nice!!
For the flowers- I'm not sure how you feel about silk flowers but Hobby Lobby has VERY nice flowers and they are often 50% off! I did all of my bouquets with these, they look great and keep forever!
Don't be afraid to shop eBay for anything else! I got my sister's flower girl dress from there.

Pregnancy Ticker

in love    toddler girl  expecting boy

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM

how many people are you inviting because 5000 for anymore than 150 is unrealisitc.  you could ask you aunts to prepare the food.  you could buy all that they need but they would cook it.  buffet is cheaper.  having the reception at the church you have the wedding is a money saver or having it at a park or a friend/family members big backyard.  for the cake you could have just a small cake for you guys to cut and then sheet cakes for the guests.  Fake flowers are cheaper also you could just buy real flowers that day and not pay a florist to arrange them.  candy could decorate the guest tables.  a friend could  dj  if the reception area already has a sound system.  Stick to simple foods easy to make or you could order giant subs from sub way.  an ice cream bar could be cheaper than cakes.  when you have a budget or 5000 dollars 850 for a dress is alot  so you might cut out somethine else like the limo, or alcohol.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Morning and Sunday weddings are always cheaper. Look up the book  I think called Budget Bride.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

We went on Oriental Trading and got a lot of our decorations and bubbles and things, My mom made our flowers, and we got a cheap hall for the recep. but then dec it really nice with balloons and things.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Good Ideas.. Keep Em' Coming

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM

okay well im getting married in January and $5000 is my budget too. so far here is what I have:

Reception - we got a great deal at $45/person, we're having 91 people- $4095 .. if you are getting married in a church see if you can use their hall for free or for a small "donation". have family make the food and bring it, decorate it yourself. or rent a hall and still do it this way.
DJ- is offered at our site for $300 .. but if you can find or rent speakers from someone or if the place you have it offers speakers, get an ipod, borrow one, whatever, hook up the ipod to the speakers and you can downlaod any songs you want on the ipod.
Flowers- go to  .. they have a HUGE stock of silk flowers, they are fake but look soo real and the bouquets are already put together. I spent $40 on all my bouquets (5 of them)
Favors- we're doing cd's. buying blank discs and downloading songs to them (probaby spend around $30) .. BUT i have seen cake given as favors.
Rings-  ... you can find TONS of rings on there people dont want and are selling for cheap. search around, i have found tons of deals.
Photographer- we're getting a photogrpaher bcause its a friend, but you can hand out disposable camera's and have everyone take pics for you, then give the camera's back at the end of the night.

we like just hit out budget. we might go a smidge over, but we're so close to $5000

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)