Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teething Rant & need advice **repost from another group**

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son, Logan, is one year old now. He cut his first 8 teeth (4 on the top, 4 on the bottom) and was done with them by the time he was prolly 7 or 8 months old. At about 9 1/2 to 10 months, he started cutting his molars. I know every baby has their own timeline, so his molars might take a little bit to come through.

About 11 months, he started being irritable as all hell. Where he used to wake me up laughing and smiling, he now wakes me up screetching and yelling.Frequently at all hours of the night. He used to laugh and play during the day, now he cries and yells at me - CONSTANTLY. I'm talking all day long. I checked his mouth a couple days ago and now he's cutting his eye-teeth as well. I guess that explains a lot of the crying.

I swear I'm losing my mind! I have a constant headache, and he rarely responds to any type of comfort. I check several times a day for dirty or wet diapers, have him on a feeding schedule (because of the constant crying I don't know if he's just hurting or if he needs food, so I feed him on a schedule), I give him tylenol twice a day if he needs it (I checked with his doctor & she said it was ok while he's teething, but try not to give him too much), and I make sure to put orajel in his mouth when he lets me. I also brush his teeth and gums twice a day which he LOVES. In fact, he cries when I stop.

I cuddle him and snuggle him as much as I can while still getting the housework done, but when I put him down, he shrieks at me. I've left him in his crib in his room sometimes just so I can step away and try to maintain some semblance of sanity. I just feel like I'm doing all I can, and he's still inconsolable MOST of the TIME! I feel horrible that he cries so much, but what can I do that I haven't already done?

I've also tried freezing a damp washcloth for 10 minutes so he can num on that. I've tried teething biscuits. I've tried rubbing a drop of liquor on his gums before bedtime. I've tried making him a sugar-tit (teaspoon of sugar in a washcloth). I've tried cooling his teething ring (he won't take it cool) and I've tried warming it up in some hot water for a few minutes. We've even got those teething tablets, which he likes, but nothing seems to work for long.

I'm a SAHM and my husband works during the day, so I'm stuck here all the time with a screaming baby. I'm not complaining that I have a family, it's just a little much right now, you know? My husband helps out as much as he can, but he works 40 hrs a week so he's tired when he comes home.

I'm exhausted physically and emotionally. Part of me feels like I'm seriously at the end of my rope, while another part says "I can do this! I know I can!"

That all being said, my son is a wonderful, inteligent, cute little guy. I love him so much! I just don't know what to do aside from everything I'm already doing or have tried. Anyone have any ideas? At this point I'll try anything!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
autumnsmommy02
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I don't have any magic cures but just wanted to say I'm going through this too momma. My son has cut the tips of both top eye-teeth but he still won't sleep, eat and he's up a lot at night. On top of it I'm almost 24 weeks pregnant and anemic so I'm exhausted. Hopefully for our sake (and sanity...lol) this passes soon!

Good Luck! :)

Here's a bump for ya!

mamakenzi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Honey, I'm sorry, teething is a b!tch!  Try Oragel Cooling Cumcumber gel, it's suppose to work really well.  I have a friend that swears by it, it came out after Bella stop teething.  GOOD LUCK MOMMA!

Kenzie

happy halloweenfalling_leaveswitch

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Have you tried giving him Motrin?  That should take the pain away.  If that doesn't work, maybe it's a phase (!).

ImHisMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM

My son is 15months and has all of his teeth except his molars which he is working on...  Orajel, Teething Tablets, and Tylenol when needed have really helped.  I don't know if you have tried the teething tablets but those seem to work the best for my son. 

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Thanks to all of you for responding. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a super hard time! And thanks for your suggestions. I'll be on the lookout for that cooling cucumber gel for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)