Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this sound overly aggressive...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

for a 20 month old?

On saturday I took a piece of jewelry into James Avery to have it cleaned, it was about 45 minutes before my sons normal nap time, and he refused to let me hold him so he was standing behind me while I talked to the lady at the counter. An old woman smiled at him and he screamed at her and hit at her. I told him to stop being ugly, and he sat down crawled over to her and hit her shoes!! She wasnt offended and I apologized and picked him up. Then a few minutes later she was standing next to me again and he CHARGED at her and tried to hit her again! She didnt do ANYTHING or say ANYTHING to him but he just was being MEAN and aggressive.

He lashes out like that for no apparent reason fairly often, not daily but he has "good" days and "bad" days.

Is this normal for a toddler or do you think I should talk to his Ped? he has an appointment tomorrow for something else, would you bring it up?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Unfortunately, my son went through this phase. Anytime he was upset or angry about something or at us, he would just lash out. For awhile, he was hitting us. Then he started hitting himself. And eventually he just started hitting everything around him.

One day at the park Hubby told him no about something, and he ended up smacking the little girl next to him, right in the face. -sigh-

He's grown out of it for the most part.

Alexz_Mommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I constantly worry that my 14 month old is overly agressive! THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING HE WOULD DO!  I'm not sure why, but he is constantly headbutting and banging his head on things.  If you make him angry (telling him no) he will throw whatever is closest to him at you, if he can't find anything he will toss his binky at you!!  He will often growl/yell and make fists (like the HULK!).  He LOVES wrestling with the family dog, and can easily take her to the floor (granted she's about as big as he is).  So please, if you find out something that works against this behavior LET ME KNOW! ANYONE!!

taylormom82
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

It cant hurt to bring it up. It does sound like normal toddler stuff to me though. My son is 5 and very even tempered now but at that age he did that sort of thing sometimes. I always noticed with him that it worse if he had alot of sugar that day. Even now at 5 I still limit how much sugar and caffiene he has. I started reading labels and realizing how much sugar is in even simple things like yougurt, juicy juice drinks and all those "kid friendly products" we moms think are so great. I was shocked by what he was eatting and drinking. It helped alot to go from juice to water, and from processed sugars to fresh fruit or dried fruit.  Also I started sticking to timeouts even in public and it worked wonders! Good luck and remember this too shall pass!

kali86
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I would talk to the doctor about it. It may be normal for that age but idk.. The doctor can at least give you ideas on how to handle those situations.

ciagaz
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Yikes!

Stick to your guns. Believe in your parenting and no empty promises! You'll get it under control.

Was that the first time he had hit a stranger? If not maybe you should just keep him at a distance. Kinda like you don't want to play well with others you don't need to play.

It kinda sounds like this all could have been avoided if he would have been at home winding down for his nap...

AMsMommy212
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Quoting ciagaz:

Yikes!

Stick to your guns. Believe in your parenting and no empty promises! You'll get it under control.

Was that the first time he had hit a stranger? If not maybe you should just keep him at a distance. Kinda like you don't want to play well with others you don't need to play.

It kinda sounds like this all could have been avoided if he would have been at home winding down for his nap...

doubtful, he acts like this at anytime of the day. This whole weekend was rough, he did that to my friend later that day when he woke up from his nap, and to her Mom the next day and it was like 4:30. All were completely unprovoked (by anything obvious).

I've seriously considered just not going in public with him, lol.. It's that embarassing, random and inappropriate. A few weeks ago he went ape-shit at a Chick-fil-A, I was there with a few friends from the local playgroup, and he had a meltdown because I asked him if wanted anymore chicken. He threw it on the floor and knocked my friends purse on the floor and was hitting at anyone close to him. It's just insane sometimes.

AMsMommy212
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Quoting kali86:

I would talk to the doctor about it. It may be normal for that age but idk.. The doctor can at least give you ideas on how to handle those situations.

yeah.. hopefully his Ped will have SOMEthing to offer that will help me help him get it under control.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

It does to me.  Especially since it was a stranger and it happened multiple times.  I know it's hard to discipline in public but I think the second he tries to hurt someone you need to remove him.  You should not give him the chance to do it again.  Take him to the car if you're out in public and give him a time out.   For the time being I would not shop alone with him.  That way if he misbehaves your partner can take him to the car. BTW I like the Love and Logic books.

supermama68
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Sounds normal to me. I'm glad the lady was nice about it.

~*~over 40 mom to three, (1) teenage boy and (2) girly girls
I'm a formula feeding/breastfeeding, disposable diapering,
co-sleeping, c-section mamaX3, feed on demand, baby-wearing, pro-circumcision, non-spanking, pacifier allowing, homeschooling, work-at-home mother to my childrren.

AMsMommy212
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Quoting supermama68:

Sounds normal to me. I'm glad the lady was nice about it.

yeah, I was so grateful that she took it well. She was a very sweet lady and it made me feel even worse cause at first she was just being sweet, smiling at the cute kid.. and he had to act like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)