Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biting problem

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DS (11 mo) has a new problem... biting. He will randomly bite people (more specifically me usually) for no reason. Kissing my cheek- chomp! hugging- chomp on the shoulder, come up and bite me on the thigh! Ouch!! I have tiny teeth marks everywhere!!

I have been putting him in time out for a minute every time he does it, then when a minute has gone by I will look him in the eye and tell him. No Biting it hurts! Give mommy a hug! He will hug me and go on his merry way playing... then he will bite again not too long after!

How would you stop a biter?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakenzi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

More then likely I will be criticized horribly for this but my DD had a biting problem.  I tried everything I did time out, redirecting, swat on the tushy, and nothing worked.  When she was about 15 months she bit me 4 times in 20 mins in the same spot on my shoulder on that pressure point.  The 4th time she bit me she drew blood.  My gut reaction was to pop her in the mouth and I did (not hard) and since then she hasn't bit me or anyone else. 

Kenzie

happy halloweenfalling_leaveswitch

MumsTheWord571
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Quoting mamakenzi:

More then likely I will be criticized horribly for this but my DD had a biting problem.  I tried everything I did time out, redirecting, swat on the tushy, and nothing worked.  When she was about 15 months she bit me 4 times in 20 mins in the same spot on my shoulder on that pressure point.  The 4th time she bit me she drew blood.  My gut reaction was to pop her in the mouth and I did (not hard) and since then she hasn't bit me or anyone else. 

I don't know about bopping him in the mouth. I just don't feel right hitting him.

mamakenzi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I never thought I would either and to tell you the truth I honestly did it before I realized what I was doing.  But it worked.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Quoting mamakenzi:

I don't know about bopping him in the mouth. I just don't feel right hitting him.

Kenzie

happy halloweenfalling_leaveswitch

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

Toddler Moms 

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

zoeybearsmama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I know what you mean, but not with my daughter, my niece had a biting problem and my brother and sister in-law just ignored it, which i guess works for them (shes 4 btw).  But she ran up to my daughter and bit her, my daughter, being only 1 and a half, bit her back, hard and she doesn't bit anyone anymore.  When i talked to my grandma she said that's the way she used to stop bitters what by biting them, so i guess it works.

MrsRStewart
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I work at a preschool, so I have dealt with this alot.  It sounds like you have been a little too soft on her.  I know she is only 11 months, but you really shouldn't be giving her a hug a minute after she bites.  Be stern with her and ignore her for at least a couple minutes.  Not an hour, of course, but maybe two or three.  

She might be teething; maybe a teething ring might help.  Also at this age the child does it just for the reaction they get from the other person.  It isn't until about two or two and half that they make the connection that biting is hurting the other child, although they do know before then that they should not be doing it.    

Just keep reinforcing that she shouldn't be doing it.  Don't give her a hug or kiss when she bites; that is sending her the wrong message.  She needs lots of hugs and kisses, just not when she bites!

a wedding website

donnamites
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM

There are all different reasons why kids bite.  From what you wrote, (that she is so young and it just started, combined with often happening when she is hugging) it looks like she does it when she gets excited and it probably just comes out of her without her realizing.  You might try telling her she must be too excited and when she feels like redirect the energy to something else to get it out of her like a pillow to jump on or something.  She probably has no intention of hurting anyone or even has any concept that her action causes pain.  Sounds bad, but you might have to resort to bite her back - gently of course and explain that this is how biting feels.  (my mom did it to me and it worked).  Don't let it go on too long or you will be sorry.

Visit our Blog at http://gracobaby.com

shoegirl01
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Please don't listen to the lunatics who tell you to bite your son back.  It won't work and will only encourage more biting when he is mad or frustrated.  Because you are entering the twos (believe me they start around12 months!)  You have to be consistent with your response.  I've tried a few tactics with my son.  Automatic time outs then getting to his level and telling him in our family, we don't bite or hit and have him show you how you touch nicely.  (with a pat on your hand).  Or, more recently, I've been putting myself in time out.  I'll say, it looks like we are both frustrated, so I think I'm going to take a time out until you calm down.  and Ill walk away with otu addressing anything for a few minutes (be out of sight.).  When he calms down, come back and again say, "how do we touch?  We don't bite or hit in our family". 

This stage is 100% normal for a kid this age.  Mine has grown out of it except biting his own hand when he gets really super mad.  Its a toddler thing.  Just be consistent

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

Laceymay
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I got a play yard and used it only for putting my son in time out. If he did something wrong like bite me I would put him in time out for 1 min

Aniyunwiya
by Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Quoting zoeybearsmama:

I know what you mean, but not with my daughter, my niece had a biting problem and my brother and sister in-law just ignored it, which i guess works for them (shes 4 btw).  But she ran up to my daughter and bit her, my daughter, being only 1 and a half, bit her back, hard and she doesn't bit anyone anymore.  When i talked to my grandma she said that's the way she used to stop bitters what by biting them, so i guess it works.

My mom did the same thing to my sister when she was younger (like 2 or so) and my sister NEVER bit again, also (when I acted like i was going to bite her, i was under 4) she told me if i bit she was going to bit back, and i didn't do it, children are WAY smarter then people give them credit for and they know WHAT they can get away with and WHO they can do stuff to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)