Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of long hair...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

What about clothes? My 8 year DSS dresses himself in the morning. All of his clothes are nice, but the combos he picks don't always match. He catches the bus at 6:30am, before I am awake and his DH doesn't pay much attention. Her will wear things like camo shorts with bright striped shirts etc. Sometimes he gets off of the bus and I wonder if the teachers think we don't care how he looks. At what age do you let your child pick their own clothes? On one hand, I feel like it isn't a big deal. On the other hand, I think I should be helping him pick his outfits out until he is old enough to really get the concept of matching.

Any thoughts??

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamad122
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I would start having him pick out his clothes the night before and if they really clash or don't match than maybe you can suggest something else. Especially boys probably don't get the matching thing at 8 years old :-)

Pregnancy Ticker

in love    toddler girl  expecting boy

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

So he doesn't look like a clown (lol) I would have him pick out 5 outfits, with your help at the beginning of the week.   

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

w/ my son , ever since he was 1 (lol) id pick out 3 things and let him pick out of those ... id usually pick out the shoes , so they'd match , and hed pick out his hat ... do it the same way now ... but he picks out shoes on his own ...

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

*Do you love hip-hop music? Come join my hip-hop hunnies group & keep hip-hop alive!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hip-hop-hunnies

Demirowe
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Ok my thought on this, is to help him pick clothes out for school each night and lay them out for the next morning. Let your child help you but make the final say so that they go to school looking nice. Then on days when there is no school let your child wear anything. This way the child has their choice as well. This Should make you both happy. Hope this helped-) 

mlbrooks421
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

This is a good idea. I want him to feel like he has a say in what he wears but, like you said, I don't want him to look like a clown! LOL

Quoting jabs54:

So he doesn't look like a clown (lol) I would have him pick out 5 outfits, with your help at the beginning of the week.   

montrese89
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My mom always said we are a representation of her, so she didnt let us pick out out own clothes until we understood matching, patterns, colors, etc. & I wont let my son pick his own clothes out until he understands these things. I will probably do the pick 5 outfits sunday nights & allow him to pick or 2 articles of clothing & i'll find matching pieces.

babies
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Agree. Once my kids are in school I'm going to get each of them a hanging shoe holder thing for the closet. The one with 6 BIG compartments.

We will choose clothes together, and each compartment will be marked with the day of the week. I would do it now but they're little and we don't leave the house much, lol.

Quoting mlbrooks421:

This is a good idea. I want him to feel like he has a say in what he wears but, like you said, I don't want him to look like a clown! LOL

Quoting jabs54:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)