Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you take the swine flu medicine..

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you take the medicine?? (tamiflu)

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

If you were pregnant?? I went ot the docotrs today and he didnt even screen me for swine flu he just gave me the perscription for it because of the symptoms i have and the hospital told him to.. So i read more up on it when i got home and it said that they arent sure of the affects on the baby?? Why would he tell me to take it if they don't know what it can do?? So my question is would you take it??

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiffani_qt2001
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Do not take it! My best friend just had to go to the ER last week because it had a bad reaction for her. She started throwing up blood clots. She was prescibed the meds because her nephew was diagnosed with H1N1. They ended up giving her something else... i dont remember what it was. She is also 35 weeks pregnant

kristinas8
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I'm not getting the shot, because I'm just not prone to the flu. But, if I were, I would.

As far as the medicine goes, I would discuss it with my dr. and if I still wasn't convinced I would also discuss it with the pharmacist. 

CafeMom Tickers
-xoxo-
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I personally wouldn't. 

SuprMom08
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I would not take it- the baby is way way more important.
Get some Tylenol cold medicine and it'll be okay.

mamakenzi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I took Tamiflu when I was pregnant for the flu and both my DD and I are just fine.

Kenzie

happy halloweenfalling_leaveswitch

tashamyork
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I have had to have lots of shots for preterm labor that  has proven negative effects on baby but it is safer for me to take the shots than to have her at 32 weeks (when all this started)

It is your decision ultimatly but EVERY medicine has a horrible list of side effects, even tylenol, they have to list them even if it happened to two people. And alot of medicines haven't been screened during pregnancy, but millions of women have taken tamiflu over the years while pregnant and it has saved many more than harmed (much like any other medicine)

Just to clarify, tamiflu is not just the swine flu medicine, it has been prescribed for years for EVERY type of flu virus.

I didn't mean any of that to be rude, just giving info. :D

You need to research does the benefits of the medicine out weight having the flu, tamiflu will help flu like symptoms as well, and probably the reason they didn't test you is bc many people are getting pnumonia and dying before the test results even come back.  

Good luck making your decision :)

kristanBellasMa
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I personally wouldn't! And if you had a absolutely not or a hell no I would have choose to vote for that rather than just a simple no. Have a great day.

jdanielle82
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Quoting SuprMom08:

I would not take it- the baby is way way more important.
Get some Tylenol cold medicine and it'll be okay.

this isn't necessarily true.  Pregnant women are DYING from h1n1.  I think that to dismiss it like that is irresponsible.  Complications from any flu can be very dangerous, including h1n1.  I would call the dr and the pharmacist and get more info about your individual case.  Good luck!

I am a liberal, bf, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth diapering, vaccinating, boo-boo kissing, coaching, anti cio, attatchment parenting, happy, proud of my well-researched choices, stay-at-home mom to two wonderful boys.

mamad122
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM

First of all, the only people that are dying from this have underlying conditions. Most of which get pneumonia or dehydrated. No matter what, stay hydrated!! As for the Tamiflu, I would call your Dr's office and ask about it. What I have been told with other things in the past (my inhaler for one) is to weigh the risks between the side effects of not taking it, and the side effects of the medicine. If your Dr doesn't have anything else to give you then I think I would probably go ahead and take it. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!  

Pregnancy Ticker

in love    toddler girl  expecting boy

JoyandLove
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I am pregnant and no I would not. I took the regular flu shot though. 

pink ribbon Remember your mammograms ladies:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)