Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age do you think you become a adult? **EDIT** with more questions! lol!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM
  • 15 Replies

i have a brother who is 22. he is going through that phase of life where he is trying to "figure it all out". he just graduated college & got a job. now he has this stick up his ass so far... that im just waiting for him to come back down to earth. lol! (im 6 years older than him)

i felt like i was grown when i graduated high school. i had a job, an apt & bought my own car. all before i graduated high school. all while maintaining a good GPA & i was also the cheer captain. BUT.... as i have learned... i was not grown... i now have 2 kids and i realize how young i still am & im 28 right now. my children made me realize how much of a child i still am.

i just would like to know thoughts on when you actually feel like you are grown? i wonder if my brother is just going to be stuck up forever or is this just a phase?

I agree with everybody that there is no magical age that we are "grown". i think that is the beauty of life... everyday we are taught something new about ourselves. i just want my "old" brother back, you know? i miss him... he is turning into someone that i would never associate with normally.

i went through different levels of being "grown". at 16, then again at 18 then 22 was the hardest for me. 24 was enlightening and 26 my "biological clock" started to tick... now at 28 im having another...

... what are the other stages of life that i need to watch out for? like how did you feel at say... 30... 35... 40... etc? what were these stage like for you?

also... how about your dh/so's? do they go through "these things" at different ages also? anything i should look out for, like "mid-life crisis"? this post has gotten my head spinning with questions about maturity/ life... lol!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
college.mom0f2
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I think I was grown up at 12, yes 12.  I raised my siblings, got a part time job, and upon getting that job I had to pay rent to my parents, plus utilities, needless to say I had no money.   

EnigmaMuse
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM

My personal perspective is that there is not an "age" in which one magically becomes an adult.

I'm 48 years old.. I know some people who are 50+ that still aren't very adult or mature. I know some in their early 20's who are.. It's all about the individual really far more than it is about age. 

Do I feel grown up.. Honestly nope, I have raised my only child, I have had a wonderful career.. I'm now a retired empty nester who is reliving her youth. lol  I've had my "grown up" years, I'm to my  fun and play years again..  :-)

bigmommasmomma
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I always thought I was grown! lol. I never had any guidance and parents were barely around so I raised myself mostly... My parents are better now.. But I would say it really has no age or material value. Its your mindset. I know plenty older people that are immature or just screwed up... Hopefully his arrogance will fade with age... most men mature slower, He is just jumping off the porch so he will learn soon enough how life is.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I think we are always "growing up". I don't think there's a magic day where it's suddenly like, "congratulations, you grew up." Hell, I know people in their 80's that could still use a little growing up.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (1y)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her  tattoos, piercings, makeup and hairdye.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM

18 legally

24 brain development wise

But a good rounded figure for everyone does not exist. Maturity happens at different ages. I thought I was "grown" at 16 lol, what a shocker to discover I wasn't at 21 when I again felt "grown" and then again after the birth of my second I feel I am "grown" now. I'm 24. I think I will feel a different type of "grown" at 35. 

Adulthood comes to those who wait. :)

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM

So true. How'd you do your siggy, it's awesome!

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

I think we are always "growing up". I don't think there's a magic day where it's suddenly like, "congratulations, you grew up." Hell, I know people in their 80's that could still use a little growing up.

mlbrooks421
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I completely agree.

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

athenax3
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I think it varies by the individual. Some are "grown" at an early age, and some take their sweet damn time about it, lol. I don't really believe that there is any magical number at which everyone wakes up and is suddenly in a grown frame of mind.

lcbowman
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I don't think there is a particular age and as another poster said some people NEVER grow up.  I also must admit while most of the time I feel like the grown-up I am when I spend a lot of time around my parents I feel like a kid again.  LOL I think they will always be wiser than me.  I still seek their advice and support.  Can I make my own decisions? absolutely!  Do I do just that 95% of the time? you bet.  However as my own children approach adulthood I realize I still have a lot to learn from my own parents.

dosthepost
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM

The second I found out I was pregnant, I knew I had to grow up. By the time I had my daughter (I was 18) I had made it there. LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)