Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does "pay to remove/delete" really exist or is it a credit myth?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

I came across some interesting information online called "Pay to Remove". Basically, you make a written agreement with a creditor saying that upon receipt of payment they will totally remove the debt from your credit report.

I'm interested in this because paying a bad debt in full or settling is just as bad as having a bad debt/old debt. I'm prepared to pay the full debt, as it is our responsibility.

Has anyone ever had any success in doing this? If so, how did you go about it?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM

bump im not sure

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I kinda doubt it. I don't think there is any way you can erase the information that has already been given to your credit report.  I certainly would never pay someone to do it. That just sounds like a scam.  

Hope you can find out more about it but i sure wouldn't do it without more info.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:18 PM

If a creditor offers you a written agreement saying that if you pay the debt in full that it will remove all negative reporting history, yes, they can do that.  You must make sure the agreement is in writing before you pay the debt. 

But, do not pay a company to clean up your credit.  That is a scam.  You can remove all false information yourself for free.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM

i did it 20 years ago and it did work but the mark had to be at least 2 years old so that the company would not have accurate records kept but with the technology they have now to keep data I'm not sure how well it would work.  I have done disputes online to the reporting agencies and it worked the same and was free!   not sure that was any help at all sorry  

good luck

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Kind of true. If you make an agreement with the company to pay in full, they can put account settled, payed in full on your credit. I have done it. It's not bad, but it doesn't help your credit. It will keep it from going down though....

Has your husband been in the military for 4 or more years?? Have you been right there with him the whole time??? If so, then this is your group!!! Come join experienced military wives from all over the world! You'll love it!!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM

i think you can get things removed from your credit report by the creditor, but im not 100% sure.  When we were getting pre approved for our mortgage my hubby had one bad debt on his credit report from an old gas bill it was only like $60.00 or something so it wasn't really affecting his credit score alot, but the mortgage broker told my hubby that he could call the creditor and make an agreement to pay it off and ask for it to be taken off his credit report.  We didn't worry about doing it because we got the pre approval and we did pay off the debt so i am not sure how it works.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I definitely didn't mean the debt consolidation people. I've heard that is really bad for your credit!

I'd be working directly with the creditor, not an individual. They supposedly can just take it off completely.

I'd love to dispute the debt because the creditor is being ridiculous. I can't get anyone on the phone, they refuse to send anything to me in writing stating what the debt is, they won't take a cashiers checks or money orders, they demanded I make a payment before they'd even discuss anything further with me.

I have NO problem paying what we owe. I do have a problem with the way the company is handling it. I tried to dispute it online but there wasn't an option next to it (there was next to everything else) to do so. Can you send in a written letter disputing something?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)