Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that had the Swine Flu

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

I really need honest opinions here so please don't tell me that you believe I have it to get me all scared because I am worried enough. I am pregnant and on saturday night I started feeling yucky.It started with a headache and congestion. I have a runny/stuffy nose, sneezing, headache that comes and gos, sinus pressure and fluid in one ear. I do have a little bit of a cough but I think it's just from the drainage of my sinuses. Anyway, I went to the walk in clinic on sunday morning and the doctor told me that my nasal area was swollen and I had sinuses draining. Plus, fluid buildup in one ear. So he gave me antibiotics for a sinus infection. I told him that I was having some body aches also but he didn't test for the flu, I guess they don't have those test kits there. So he told me to give the meds a couple of days but I'm still freaking out because I am having body aches and feeling drowsy. Like I said, i am pregnant so the body aches could result from that or stress. So far, I haven't had a fever and everyone else in my family seems okay but I really would like to know if i have it because i'm scared of passing it along to them. It may just be the sinus infection and i may be really paranoid due to the fact that flu is going around here. Please give honest opinions on what you think based on your experience having it. Also, where do they do flu tests? Is it only at the hospitals? Any advice would be appreciated.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jenniepepsi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

URI's are going around ALOT right now hon. i dont think you should be worried. my brother, nephew, my daughter, my self and my daughters best friend all have URI's sinus infections, strep, and i had walking pnumonia.

mandamitch
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I had an appointment with my midwife today and she said you will only get tested for H1N1 if you are hospitalized for it or go to a clinic that is participating in a study tracking the virus.  From my understanding, H1N1 usually has symptoms such as sore throat, cough, fever, etc.  Did you go to an urgent care clinic or your regular OB clinic?  If not your regular doc, I would call and let them know what is going on.  They may want to start you on Tamiflu just in case.  Make sure you are drinking alot of fluids and taking extra vit c and such.

babies
babies
Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I try to keep in mind that a lot of other viruses existed before the swine flu but I am just so scared of getting it. I like to know for sure what I'm dealing with because I am pregnant and got two small children who always hug and kiss on me which I love. I guess if i don't see a big improvement tomarrow, I'll call the doctors office to see if they can test me for it. 

FateoftheGodz
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM

You are definitely freaking out. But don't, he didn't check for the flu because YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

If you don't get better after 7 days, go back to the doctor. If you have a fever that's very high, go straight to the ER, stress on the baby is bad. If you had H1N1 you'd definitely not be here, writing us a post. If you get literally sick enough to go to the ER, then be worried, but sniffles, and congestion suck, but you'll live. So will baby.

Source: I'm an RN in Chicago. We had 1 pregnant woman die of H1N1 but she already had diabeties and smoked. Just stay healthy.

mommyof2_652
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM

well my kids are battling the swine flu right now..ill tell you their symptoms but dont base anything off of here go get tested to see if it the actual flu or not my husband was terribly sick but did not have the flu and my kids do...the big thing for them was the fever im talking 105.5 for my daughter and 104 for my son her fever was high but broke with in 24 hours his has lasted and fluctuated for to 100 for the past 2 days..they threw up a little and had serious headachs and body achs...ot really wasn't as bad to deal with as i thought the only thing that scares me is high fevers..as for you you could be starting to get the flu or you could just be getting a virus either way you pregnant got get tested

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. I lost my dad in January and I am very paranoid about everything. I love my family and I want to do all that I can to protect us from getting the swine flu or treating it before it can become really severe. I am really hoping that I feel a lot better tomarrow.

Quoting FateoftheGodz:

You are definitely freaking out. But don't, he didn't check for the flu because YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

If you don't get better after 7 days, go back to the doctor. If you have a fever that's very high, go straight to the ER, stress on the baby is bad. If you had H1N1 you'd definitely not be here, writing us a post. If you get literally sick enough to go to the ER, then be worried, but sniffles, and congestion suck, but you'll live. So will baby.

Source: I'm an RN in Chicago. We had 1 pregnant woman die of H1N1 but she already had diabeties and smoked. Just stay healthy.

Kim24kids
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Well my youngest dd had the "flu" last week the ER said not sure if it was H1N1 ...BAD headache ,fever got up to 104.6,chills ,cough,body aches...

then she started feeling better and BAM pneumonia set in=(

(((dang asthma)))

Then this past weekend I got BADDD Headache OMG worst EVER! Back ache from Hell and body aches ,Fever,chills,no I just have body aches and trouble sleeping at night cuz I slept so much=(

I would just stay hydrated and call your doc with any new symtoms...GL

FateoftheGodz
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM

You know I take that back. If you don't have a fever, maybe don't worry so much but they're saying in Chicago (just the latest news) that 90% of the flus coming in RIGHT NOW are H1N1 positive. They have H1N1 flu shots now, but there won't be enough. Please, tell them you are pregnant, and they may give you priority to get that flu shot. Please get it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)