Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

X-Mas Tree Safety

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding it. And it's a little early but I'm an early planner or I lose control of my house.

My son is 12 months old, and will be almost 14 months in December. He can already walk, run, and he gets into EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING. He pulls things off my desk ALL day long. He opens cabinets and drawers and even climbs onto things. I've told him "No" hundreds of times, and put him some place else, but it gets tiring. He cries and then comes back and does the same thing again. His daddy slapped his hand really hard once, and he just shook it off and went back to trying to pull the thumb tacks out of the wall.

So with all this, I know I'm probably disciplining him wrong but I'm really pretty organized and I feel I can make it work. It's very important to me to have a Christmas tree, with the lights, and the bangles, and everything. Presents under the tree. I'm terrified that he will put the lights in his mouth and chew, or pull the tree down, or open presents/ eat them. Is there a way I can have my baby AND my tree?!?! We live in a tiny apartment, so I can't section anything off really.

Any advice?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jcp270
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM

You could get a smaller tree and put it up on a table out of his reach.  We did this when our youngest was just starting to walk.  OR... you could just do it normal, but if you aren't in the room with him make sure that the lights are unplugged and don't put presents out before Christmas day.

lundaylove
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM

our first christmas with our twins we had a small xmas tree on a high table and put the presents around that. it worked. last year we had a bigger house so we just had the tree in a different room and they werent allowed in there. im not sure what we're doing this year now that theres 3 running around

Are you a special mom? Does your child have a special need? If so join Special Mothers, the group for support, advice and a place to talk with other special mothers.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107411

FateoftheGodz
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Hm maybe. Where do I get  a tiny little tree?

I can't really put presents under a tiny one :( I dunno X-Mas just isn't the same ... I think it will be again though. Probably funner when he learns about Santa Claus!

nellie6977
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM

A playyard works wonders. If you put the tree in a corner and block it off with the playyard he will not get to it. Good Luck!

Pregnancy ticker

FateoftheGodz
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

And I can get a play yard anywhere? Wal-Mart? Once Upon a Child?

ajswenson
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Yes you should.  I just found one on amazon.com for $59 to give you an idea.  This is what we did one year.  Then we did a small tree on the table one year too.  (we have a 3.5 yr old and a 2 yr old now).  The other thing you can also do is keep the pretty ornaments on top. ones that are ok to play with down low.  I think one year I didn't put on any of the special ornaments.  It's one year or so, and you can work around it.  If you're real ambitious I've seen trees that hang from the ceiling!!! Now that would be a sight.

Quoting FateoftheGodz:

And I can get a play yard anywhere? Wal-Mart? Once Upon a Child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)