Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New puppy advice please!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM
  • 26 Replies

Anyone have good advice for having a new puppy? We are getting a Siberian Huskey on the 31st, driving over 2 hours to get it. I'm SOOO excited, but a little worried! It's going to be very young they were only born on the 18th of September. I've never had a dog except when I was very little. I have 4 children and know lots of tricks for taking care of humans and how to get them to listen. I just need some training tips and any little things I might need that aren't obvious like food and a leash! Thanks ladies!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hudson.maggie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Since he's just a little puppy.. If he chews on anything give him one of his toys so he knows not to chew on other stuff, and also you can spray like water with spice in it over stuff that they have chewed, they don't like the taste..

JeresMom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Some kind of carrier crate but not too big.  Puppies will feel safe in one of these with a soft towel.  I would also recommend a small stufed dog for him to cuddle with because he's going to miss his family.  Not really sure what else to tell you I hsve 3 dogs but they were all 3 months + when we got them.  My only experience with a tiny puppy was not good he would not stop barking and whining.  He was a foster situation for one nigh and I was happy to give him back :)

Honestly I prefer older dogs they are very good with kids.  Please spay or neuter your pet and Good Luck!

hudson.maggie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting JeresMom:

Some kind of carrier crate but not too big.  Puppies will feel safe in one of these with a soft towel.  I would also recommend a small stufed dog for him to cuddle with because he's going to miss his family.  Not really sure what else to tell you I hsve 3 dogs but they were all 3 months + when we got them.  My only experience with a tiny puppy was not good he would not stop barking and whining.  He was a foster situation for one nigh and I was happy to give him back :)

Honestly I prefer older dogs they are very good with kids.  Please spay or neuter your pet and Good Luck!

My puppy barked and whined alot when we got her, but she got over it in like a week, she just wasn't used to being locked up and they like to be able to see you(atleast thats what I was told ) GOOD LUCK
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM

A puppy ideally should be 8 weeks old before adopted.  NEVER less than 7 weeks.  Google it and it will explain why.  I like Dr. Patricia McConnell books for raising dogs.

orange4agua72
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I wanted an older one, but hubby is very afraid of animals, so this was the only way he wanted one, if he could raise!

Quoting JeresMom:

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

Babys-Mom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM
you ever hear of cesar milan, he has a new book out, check it out at the library, called how to raise a puppy. basically, in order, exercise, displine and affection. so walk your puppy side by side every day for at least 20 min., displine, needs to sit for treats, dont allow jumping on you, etc.. and of course only affection when your dog is submissive and not hyper. good luck, you are the pack leader, not your dog, you are in charge, dont let the dog be the alpha dog.
MelaniesMama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Are you getting your puppy from a breeder? B/C 6weeks is WAAY to young to take a puppy from its mother. No respectable breeder will let them go until they are about 10 weeks old.
You are going to have to do alot of research to make sure your puppy is fed the right food since it will be so young. And has the proper care

BabyDollMama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Babys-Mom:

you ever hear of cesar milan, he has a new book out, check it out at the library, called how to raise a puppy. basically, in order, exercise, displine and affection. so walk your puppy side by side every day for at least 20 min., displine, needs to sit for treats, dont allow jumping on you, etc.. and of course only affection when your dog is submissive and not hyper. good luck, you are the pack leader, not your dog, you are in charge, dont let the dog be the alpha dog.

YES YES YES YES!!! In order to raise a good dog, you must exercise them daily and do not give affection when they are hyper. If you do, that encourages the behavior. So only when your dog is calm. I was very lucky with my puppy (pit bull). He never went potty inside (except in his kennel a couple times) and never barks. Please spay or neuter at 6 months (Plus, it will avoid any raging testosterone in the house if it's a boy). If your puppy does something bad, don't get angry and hit them or rub their nose in whatever they did. They don't know what you're doing or saying. When you feed the puppy, rub your hands around in the food (yes, even if it's wet food) because this will remind them of your scent and let them know you're the pack leader who always feeds them. My advice....watch The Dog Whisperer. He will teach you all you need to know to raise a good dog. My pit bull is the best dog i've ever had or been around.

Momto3andaAngel
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

As a Siberian Husky owner and breeder 6 wks is WAY TOO YOUNG for these pups to be taken away from their mother. No reputable breeder will sale a pup this young. 8 wks is the youngest they are suppose to be taken away from their mom. We do not sale our pups until they are 10-12 weeks old and at that time they have had their puppy shots and been wormed and vet checked and have started on the potty training process.

With Siberian Huskies they are very smart animals and train very easily. However if you are going to keep him/her inside if they get the least bit warm they will get extreme diarrhea. Also do not what so ever feed him/her scraps. Huskies bowels cannot handle any type of scraps. When we got our oldest one that is what her previous owners were feeding her and when we got her she was putting blood through her bowels and took her to the vet and sure enough that is what was causing it.

If you have anymore questions about this type of breed feel free to msg me.

ashleyandjames
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Oh my gosh I have so much advice...My husband and I breed and raise American Pit Bulls and so I have lots of great tips... probably the most important is to get a crate that is small enough for the puppy to turn around in but not much else, since your puppy is so young, its a good idea to purchase a heating pad that gets filled with water. ( i got mine at bath and body works) they hold hot water in a rubber "bottle" and they are covered with a thick blanket like cover so that a puppy can't get into them (our pits never do so I know they work :) put this under a warm blanket (I always take a warm towel out of the dryer just prior to putting a new pup into their crate for the first week or two) cover the crate with a blanket and put them in a common room like the living room, but it should be fairly quiet when you put your puppy to bed. Don't give in to their cries...thats the hardest part but its the best thing for them. Your puppy is really young so it may take him a little longer to get over his fear of being alone. The crate is vital to the success of potty training and dogs need a safe place, the crate will be his safe place. I have a nine month old Pit, Baily, who still goes into here crate at 10ish every night, on her own and falls asleep. If the kids are rough housing she goes into her crate, if I am about to leave the house she goes into her crate...I never ever close the door!!! Another suggestion is to seperate play time from training. Your training time shouldn't exceed 10 minutes at a time because your puppy doesn't have that long of an attention span. At the end of each "training" session you should put puppy into his crate for at least 5 minutes to seperate training from play time. I have so many more great traing ideas, please let me know if I can help anymore, I am such an animal lover and I think proper care of animals is what makes them what they grow into. Good luck and God Bless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)