Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She broke the skin. What do I do? (posted in breastfeeding moms as well)

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is three weeks and four days and has already bit down hard enough for a crack. Now I'm puzzled on what to do. Do I pump on that side til the nipple heals? I have put lanoin cream on it after every feeding on that side but was told to wash it off before nursing. Is that true? I also fed her on that side and felt anemic afterward. Is that a bad thing? Can I nurse with a nipple shield on to prevent her ingesting blood?

Patrice Janel

Wife to Lance 04/21/06 (separated as of 09/17/09) mother to L'Janel Jacel 11/04/06 and Lawrael J'lise 09/17/09

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
prestonjohn
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM

have no clue i didnt bf,, so here is a bump

elly25
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Well first off OUCHY!!!That hurts!

My daughter has done that to me more then once.It hurt bad and I thought that my breast would never stop hurting.You can pump on that side.I did.You can put some triple antibiotic ointment on it (neosporin).Then put a nipple shield on it,but if your child sucks hard enough then she could still get some blood in her mouth.They make nipple ointment that wont hurt her if she ingests it and it will make your injury heal.I can't remember the it though.Not sure what else to tell you.I just tuffed it out and put ointment on it.I still let her nurse on that side.Don't know if I'm much help.

owls

xotee2006
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I had this happen. and worried about my dd getting the blood. but it won't hurt her. and if ur comfortable with nursing on that side then go for it. to me pumping hurts more than nursing when u have something like that wrong.  and the lansinoh (sp) cream will NOt hurt her,   you can nurse while that is on.  obviously you wouldn't nurse right after u put it on or with a glob of it on ur nipple.   put it on right after she is done nursing.    a nipple shield might help with the pain   but i don't see how it will prevent her from getting blood.   I never used a nipple shield though

whatever u do, make sure u nurse or pump on the side as much as she would eat b/c it can limit ur supply   or/and u'll get engorged! and that is no fun either

...also i don't see how u feel anemic.    ur not losing a lot of blood and if u pump.. it will only look like a lot b/c it is mixed with the milk. but it really isn't a lot.  

bluemist246
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM

OK so first of if you have a cracked nipple you are not getting a proper latch, the nipple should be further back in the baby's mouth, it shouldn't hurt to breast feed. i suggest a lactation consult. second it doesn't hurt the baby at all to ingest the blood. if you feel a little anemic you can get some iron supplements (you don't want to much iron though, talk to your Dr before using supplements) and eat lots of iron rich foods. and the nipple cream that is especially for breast feeding will not harm your baby. also if you rub some of your own breast milk on your sore nipple it will help it to heal as well. good luck, and congrats on the new baby!

Mom to Daniel 9/13/08               

Doula in training!                   Blessed Be

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)