Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent/Advice/My Mother!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello everyone. I'm 23 and I'm 26 weeks pregnant :) I recently had to move back in with my mother for two reasons - finacial and help for when my little August will be born. Since I'll be a first time MOM!! Anyway, I haven't lived at home since I was 18. Always been on my own and I have done very well taking care of myself and my home. Sadly, I just lost my job and well.. home is FREE!! At the moment I'm working at Subway til the end of the month and I come home at 3 o'clock and I come home to find my mother already drunk. I find myself fighting with her so much about how it's not right that she's drinking so early. Point being, she's stressing me out. This has happened on many occasions - let me explain as shortly as i can. My mother doesn't have a licence from a DUI. But that's a long story and i don't hold her against that since she was trying to get away from an abusive marriage and shit basically hit the fan. Well, I drive her around and we'll make plans to go to walmart or get food for the house or just small errands. But when I come home she's drunk and I just can't stand it. Today, we went to Shaw's and she was dropping things, unable to walk straight, her eyes were glossy and she was just straight up embarrassing. So, I told her to grab her last item and we we're getting the fuck out of there and I let her now she was an embarrassment.

I guess my point is, I don't know how to keep her life seperate from mine. She's a grown woman and she can do what she pleases. She's not mean to me and honestly she acts more like a kid but i can't seem to be nice to her. And today she just pushed me over the edge and I got a pack of cigarettes. I haven't smoked since I found out i was pregnant. But, it totally stresses me out and I almost broke down crying in Shaws. I just can't handle that and I just don't know how to treat her like an adult instead of yelling at her like she's in trouble.

I try to let her know when she's sober how stupid she acts and sounds like but she doesn't want to hear it because she's embarrassed of her own actions. I'm sorry. I'll never understand alcoholics or people with no self control.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I'm sorry you have to see your mom like this.  My dh has been sober and in AA for over 25 yrs.   He would tell you to go to al anon. 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Tough situation you are in.I honestly dont think you can get her to stop.What I would try is tlaking to her about the fact that If she is drunk that you'll be extremely nervous of her being around her new grandchild.Try it when she is sober but dont push her so far that she throws you out.Hugs momma I dont have any better advice.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)