Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Little boys in ballet/tap?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

Me and Hank (my 2 yr old) went to go see "This is it" tonight and which I might say was AWESOME!!!! But the WHOLE 2 hrs of this movie Hank danced and danced... And some of the time we was doing (or trying to do) everything the dancers where... He also dance all the time at home.... So I was thinking maybe putting him in dance school once a week or so... But the only thing they offer for is age is ballett/tap....Is that ok for little boys? Do all know any boys who started out in them classes? I mean the one person I know of was Patrick Swayze and look he was a manly man!

by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
farrah
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM

of course it would be fine for him. At that especially, they are really doing just the most basic things. It would be great exercise, wear him out, and it sounds like he would be having a blast. If my son showed interest in dance I would most definitely sign him up. Later on if he is not so interested in the ballet aspect a lot of boys seem to lean towards jazz classes.

mom2BOYZnDad
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:27 AM

I'm all for putting kids in whatever the love.  If he wants to dance and that is what is available, go for it.  He's gonna have fun and I would think you'd be happy with your decision.

~RK~

mama310583
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Totally fine IMO!!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I grew up in Whistler, which is a huge ski/snowboard resort. Most of the guys I grew up with were in ballet, gymnastics etc. with me because it helps A LOT with coordination, balance etc. in other sports.

My son is 3 and is already in soccer and gymnastics. My 18 month old starts ballet in the spring. I have no problem with my little guy dancing.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

MandSMOM
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM

My DD has danced since she was 3 and there is a little boy in her class and he has a blast. They do tap and ballet. His dad also danced at the school. 

zebbyzebby06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM

ALOT of Pro NFL players take usually ballet to help with coordination. sometimes are told to take it in college.  Donovin Darius, Lynn Swann, Herschel Walker, Willie Gault (XX Superbowl Champion Bears) (saw this on wikianswers.com)  its nota bad thing.  he would prob enjoy.

rkoloms
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM

The secret to the success of the 1980s chamionship Bears teams was ballet classes.

Robin in Chicago

RheaF
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Yes its ok!!! If my DS wants to when he is older I will put him in. At that age they really just do an intro to movemnet anyway. It would be a great way to get him interacting with other kids, moving, and teach him coordination. People need to get their heads out of..... 

Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.    ~Proclamation, September 23,1995~

AngieMarie08
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM

My son is 2 also and I want to put him in dance. They always start out with tap and ballet. Ballet for technique (just basic dance language and use of body for dance that young) and tap for isolated body movement and cause and reaction (move your body make a sound). I was also thinking of gymnastics for my son. Let us know and get pictures!!

dosthepost
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I don't even think they offer those for his age. The earliest most of them will take kids is 3, but I don't see any problem with boys in tap/ballet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)