Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apple sauce at 3 months old? UPDATED *POLL*

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Is 3 months too young for apple sauce?

Options:

Yes

No

Other...because there's always an other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

I just made some home made apple sauce with absolutly no additives, just plain apples. I haven't spoken with my DD's pediatrician about starting her on baby food and i've heard babies are supposed to have a "virgin" stomach for the first 6 months. But just wondering when other mothers started their kids on something other than just breast milk/formula?

My DD is strictly breastfed

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildflowerkej
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I started both of my kids on baby food and cereal at about three months.  I asked their pedi and they said it would be fine.  So I don't see why it would be a problem.  As long as you're not JUST feeding them baby food.  But feeding it once a day or so isn't a bad idea.

shoegirl01
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I'm gonna say no to this one!  The reason is, usually you put honey in it and that is a big no no for children under two (at least every recipe I've ever made of apple sauce calls for honey).  Secondly, your poor baby will be pooping allllllllllllllllllllll day.  Start her off with a small bit of oat meal if you want to start solids soon (so in a couple months you can give her the applesauce).  Trust me and thank me when you aren't covered in your childs poop tomorrow!  LOL!

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM

I wouldn't.

6 months is the recommended minimum because it's when their guts seal (takes longer for a formula fed baby) so it can cause an immuno response. We started solids shortly after 6 months.

You could freeze some in ice cube trays and then bag it for when she does start solids, or just make her a fresh batch in a few months.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

shoegirl01
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:41 AM

This is what I was just saying to the hubby!  Thanks :)

Quoting Randi02:

I wouldn't.

6 months is the recommended minimum because it's when their guts seal (takes longer for a formula fed baby) so it can cause an immuno response. We started solids shortly after 6 months.

You could freeze some in ice cube trays and then bag it for when she does start solids, or just make her a fresh batch in a few months.

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

katiebugg319
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:42 AM

IMO yes, we talked to the pediatrician about foods before giving him any he said it was best to start with rice cereal(2tablespoons per 1oz of water) and slowly thicken it up, if he spits it out try the following week, we looked it up only etc, we started him on the rice cereal 1st at 3months which he did good with and thickened it up a bit then at 5months(maybe 6?) we did applesauce, they need to get use to the texture and swallowing food etc, but in the end up to you :) just letting ya know what our pediatrician said and what we did :)

onefootcutiepie
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM

None of my kids had anything other than breastmilk for 7 months. I wouldn't start with apples anyway...we always did veggies first. Now my kids are veggie-lovers, though it may be coincidence because i'm a veggie-lover.

Kizbee
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Quoting shoegirl01:

I'm gonna say no to this one!  The reason is, usually you put honey in it and that is a big no no for children under two (at least every recipe I've ever made of apple sauce calls for honey).  Secondly, your poor baby will be pooping allllllllllllllllllllll day.  Start her off with a small bit of oat meal if you want to start solids soon (so in a couple months you can give her the applesauce).  Trust me and thank me when you aren't covered in your childs poop tomorrow!  LOL!

What she said.

Karowyn
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I agree, however make sure that you are doing mostly cereal with just a bit of apple sauce so she isn't pooping like a crazy thing tomorrow.  Make sure there is no honey in it...obviously, and keep in mind that she will probably spit it all out (for the most part) anyway.  The virign stomach thing is mostly for kids who are breast fed...but this is just a suggestion I kept my DD on only breast milk for six months but with my son it was not enough (even though I was producing mass amounts and he did not spit up at all!!!) so he started cereal at two months and then we added veggies and fruits.  The one suggestion Iwould make is to start her out with veggies, then she doesn't get obsessed with the sweet flavors so fast and totally refuse veggies later.

Quoting wildflowerkej:

I started both of my kids on baby food and cereal at about three months.  I asked their pedi and they said it would be fine.  So I don't see why it would be a problem.  As long as you're not JUST feeding them baby food.  But feeding it once a day or so isn't a bad idea.

DyerMaker
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Trust your instincts mama! Idid with my DS. He is 3 months old in this video. He already had a tooth poking through on the bottom gumline, was able to sit assisted, pinch, and before we ever gave him food, he would eye my DH and I as we ate, imitate us, and smack his lips. My mom suggested that he was ready and to try applesauce, bananas, or single grain cereal (Like oatmeal). I called my pedi, and he stated that it is suggested to wait till 6 mo, but if I wanted to start feeding him solids, to try a little bit at a time. He said it is more to get them used to eating, and less to do with nutrient value. My Pedi also said to feed him just as much formula/breast milk as usual.  My mom gave me a word of advice also..... carrots will make the baby look a little orange. sweet potato will chap their butts, so will applesauce. It is the acid content. To avoid this, use vasoline or A&D liberally on their bottoms for a few days. Anyway, the video attached is my DS enjoying his first taste of solids EVER. He had bananas at my parents' house.

Bella_Angel
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

I have a 3 and a 2 yr old who i started giving baby food/cereal to at about 4 months old.  They are both perfectly healthy.  And I also started them on reg milk at 6 months!  I never got any grief from any doctors or anybody.  And my 3 month old has been having cereal mixed with his formula with every bottle for about 2 weeks now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)