Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

inmates getting vaccines before many kids!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM
  • 14 Replies

COLUMBUS — More than 8,800 prison inmates may get H1N1 vaccinations before many Ohio school children, workers and families have a chance to be inoculated against swine flu.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction said it expects delivery any day now for 10,876 doses to cover 1,984 prison medical workers and 8,892 inmates who are pregnant, diabetic, under 18 years of age or have chronic pulmonary or immuno-compromising conditions.

The department expects to have vaccinations available for another 52,487 employees and inmates sometime in December, according to spokeswoman JoEllen Smith.

A limited amount of Tamiflu, an anti-viral medication used to treat flu symptoms, has been distributed to the prisons in case of H1N1 outbreaks, she said.

The prison department, which spends $240 million a year on inmate health care, does not have a figure for how much administering the H1N1 vaccines will cost.

The Department of Youth Services will distribute H1N1 vaccinations to youth prisons as soon as they arrive, a department spokeswoman said. All of the DYS 1,150 inmates are in a priority group designated by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since they are ages 21 and younger.

The first vaccinations are to go to pregnant women, people between 6 months and 24 years old, direct medical workers, people between 25 and 64 with chronic medical conditions, and people who live with or care for infants younger than six months, according to CDC guidelines.

As of this week, Ohio has ordered and distributed 595,200 H1N1 vaccine doses, according to state Department of Health spokesman Kristopher Weiss. Some health clinic have been seeing long lines and dwindling supplies of the vaccines.

“Demand is clearly higher than supply. We urge people to be patient,” Weiss said.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Quoting Biancas_mommy:

COLUMBUS — More than 8,800 prison inmates may get H1N1 vaccinations before many Ohio school children, workers and families have a chance to be inoculated against swine flu.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction said it expects delivery any day now for 10,876 doses to cover 1,984 prison medical workers and 8,892 inmates who are pregnant, diabetic, under 18 years of age or have chronic pulmonary or immuno-compromising conditions.

So you don't think that prisoners who are pregnant, diabetic, under 18 years old or who have chronic pulmonary or immuno-compromising conditions should get the vaccine?

Why not?

ThinkTwice08
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Better for prisoners to be 'test' subjects than our little children.(although I feel sorry for any of the pregnant ones.)

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

Biancas_mommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

-NO- I think INNOCENT children should be protected first...

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Quoting Biancas_mommy:

So you don't think that prisoners who are pregnant, diabetic, under 18 years old or who have chronic pulmonary or immuno-compromising conditions should get the vaccine?

Why not?

Biancas_mommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Very good point....been worried about it myself...not sure about my kids yet...been worried sick if I should or sould not give it to my kids.  I do all other routine vaxing...never got a flu shot for them or me before...didn't find in necessary...

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

Better for prisoners to be 'test' subjects than our little children.(although I feel sorry for any of the pregnant ones.)

Loa1002
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I agree.

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

peanutsmommy1
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I'm sure the cost of the vacciene is signigicantly less than treating an entire flu populaion with the flu... 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I feel it is necessay since they are in such close proximitry to eachother. Do you know how illness in prisions takes many lives a year and they rarely get the aid they truley need.

jessi437
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:16 PM

This!

Love thie pic of your kid in the car with the seat belt by the way! HILARIOUS!

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I'm sure the cost of the vacciene is signigicantly less than treating an entire flu populaion with the flu... 

Rileyscute
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Honestly I care more about people NOT in prison..kids are pretty important to me

There was an article today that the hospitals here in Ohio aren't getting their vaccines either...I would rather have hospital personnel vaxed too.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM

If you follow up on places the swine flu outbreaks have been deadly, it usually is in highly populated areas. So having an infected prision could house a deadly outbreak to nearby towns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)