Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't believe my dentist! (UPDATE)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM
  • 28 Replies

Ok, so I hadn't been to the dentist in over a year (almost 2 years I guess).  I had just moved to this town and when I set up my first dentist appointment, when I was pregnant, they told me I needed to get the x-rays done.  I refused to have the x-rays, so they wouldn't see me.  Soooo, I finally just went to the dentist yesterday and they told me I have 6 cavities!  I've never had a cavity in my life and now all of a sudden...6??!!  I know having a baby changes everything about your teeth and gums, but come one!  The dentist showed me the x-rays, but it's not like I know what I'm looking at.  I'm not a huge fan of the office, so I wasn't going to go anymore, but now they say I need to come back for the fillings. 

Would it be weird to get a second opinion from a new dentist?  Would a dentist have any reason to tell me I have more than I really have??  Or am I just paranoid and should just accept that this is another perk due to childbirth?

I forgot to update this post back in November when I went for my 2nd Opinion.  I'm so glad I followed my gut because when I received a 2nd opinion, I was told I have NO cavities.  I asked him to check again and he said I have none, and has no idea why someone would tell me I had 1 let alone 6 cavities to begin with! So moral of the story is...yes, go with your gut even if it's for a dentist appointment.  Even dentists lie to get more money!!  Thanks for convincing me to go everyone!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngieMarie08
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM

It is probably true that you have the cavities, due to pregnancy. But if you dont like the office anyway, I would see another one. Then you know for sure and maybe it will be a more comfortable office for you. I have a big issue with dentists. If I dont feel comfortable I wont go back.

sarahb007
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Same thing happened to me. I've always had PERFECT teeth. then after my son ws born, ernt to the dentist I have 6 cavities and my gums are receeding. he called it post preg mouth

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Did he put the little sharp thing in your teeth to show you were they were?  He should be able to stick that thing in the hole of the cavity and physically show you where they are.  You'll know because it will get stuck coming out.  Have him do that before he fills anything.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I am going to say your dentist is probably not lying to you. I had went a really long time without seeing a dentist and I waited till after I had my son due to the x ray thing. I ended up with 10 cavities. Honestly before that I only had one in my whole life. Pregnancy does really mess with your teeth. But if you do not feel comfortable with what he said then definitely go for a second opinion.

enchantingspa
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM

No it is not uncommon in fact.  Your dental health is just that health related and if you questioned your medical doctor you would not think twice so why would it be wrong for a second opinion for a dentist.  As far as what about would they basically gain anything for saying you have more then you do the answer would be yes but it would be unethical for them to do so. 

onefootcutiepie
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Well sure...filling cavities=money.

Cavities are just holes. They fill them so that the hole doesn't get deeper. I don't get cavities filled unless I'm feeling any pain. A dentist friend of mine told me that as long as I take care to brush, floss and rinse they didn't really need filled unless I was having problems.

stellarmom1
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM

If your uncomfortable get a second opinion! You can't trust all dentists.  Some will definitely do more work then needed!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
<Lilypie
mamakrod
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Thanks!  I'm already set up with a different office for a second opinion!

WildKat
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I totally think that you *could* chalk this up to being pregnant.  I *think* I got more cavities when I was pregnant too... maybe it was the toothpaste-nausea link or the acid from vomitting... who knows. 

But I think it's *completely* reasonable to get a second opinion too, if this is a new dentist that you're not completely enamored with.  Just be warned that your insurance probably won't cover that, so check out the prices and get copies of your Xrays (which are *really* pricy) for the second dentist to look at.   I would also get a recommendation from friends and neighbors to find another dentist.  You will trust them a lot more if you know other people who have no complaints about them...

Peace,

Kat

tiffanysgirls
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Definitely get a second opinion. We went to a dentist who tried to convince my DH he needed all sorts of work on a tooth....went to a new dentist and there was nothing wrong with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)