Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying with a 10 month old... Help!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son and I are flying out to watch my husband graduate from BCT in November. He will be about 10 1/2 months old. The first flight is about an hour and a half and the second is about an hour. He will be in my lap the whole time. As it is now, he will only sit in my lap for about 3 minutes before he starts getting angry and wants to crawl and try to walk around. By the time we leave, there's a really good possibility that he will already be walking. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that he's going to scream the entire time. I figure I can bring a few toys to keep him occupied and a book, but after that, I'm sorta out of options. My friends keep telling me to give him a very small dose of dimetapp - that way he'll sleep the whole time. Any advice? I feel bad drugging my baby to get him to sleep, but I really don't see any other option. Please help!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I find benadryl works better but for my son...we had been on approximately 10 round trip flights ( 20 individual flights) before he was 1. I found that trying to fly as late as possible helped us the best because everyone was asleep, the lights were dim, and he could stretch out and lay down since those flights werent usually full. When we couldnt get a late flight, I'd make sure he was next to the window. He was a little fidgety at first but once we took off, my was he mesmerized. Also, try to minimize bringing on board as MUCH as possible. Turn your purse into a diaper bag.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Because there is a lot of "white noise" on a plane my DD slept almost the whole time.  Other passengers would always play peekaboo with her (she loves to people stare).  I think you should be fine if not just let him cry and annoy the hell out of everyone.  LOL

by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Snacks, toys and books that he has never played with before etc.

I flew alone with my son 8 times in his first year. I nursed at take off and that made it easier on his ears, and a lot of the time he would fall asleep on my shoulder, even as he got older. I just draped a receiving blanket over his head.

My son didn't really cry or fuss, I think there were so many different people to look at and talk to... he was content just sitting. I never drugged him, I would never do that.

Good luck!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I have found that taking the latest flight I can get plus a little benedryl works. Sometimes I didn't even need to use the medicine. The only reason I did was because of his sinuses. I also found that giving him a bottle as we took off helped a bit too. Usually for us he'd be done with it before the wheels were up but it kept him busy during the pressure change. Even to this day with all my kids now teens we still fly the last flight we can get. That way the only person not sleeping is me. Something nice about that red eye flight is that if you are lucky it doesn't have many people on it and the attendents don't have a problem with you stretching out across seats.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I have taken my twins on several round trip flight's and here is what usually works for us.

As soon as the plane starts to take off give him a bottle to help keep his ears open.( do the same thing when you are decending to keep his ears open)  Once you reached 10k feet stop and then play games with him, bring a plastic cup something new if you can afford it go to the dollar store to get some new toys to bring on the flight so he will play with them more. Chance's are your baby will sleep if you can fly around nap time. Another thing is do try the benadryl it's not drugging them your trying ot make it comfortable for them to fly.. Another thing you can try is if you have a dvd player or know someone who does that will let you borrow it that helps alot to! I hope this helps

Good luck and most passengers who see someone with a baby understand when they get fussy

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Don't drug your baby on the plane, that's silly. These are both very very short flights. By the time you get up in the air it will be time to land. There is a lot of activity on the plane. The flight attendants are doing these, lots of people around. Your baby will probably be at least a little amused. He will most likely want to play with the tray table and other things on the plane. I'd bring a book and a couple toys, but don't lug too much stuff, that will just get annoying to keep track of.

Worst case scenario, he screams the whole flight. My daughter screamed during an entire 4 hour flight once. Not exaggerating. But, we lived through it. My other kids always do just fine on flights.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Try to fly during the hours he sleeps, bring lots of new toys, plenty of snacks, water or juice and relax, babies can feel our stress. I've taken my babies through 3.5 hr flights and sometimes they get difficult (that's why I always keep the benadryl close) but most of the time they behave good. Arrive early, talk to him about airplanes beforehand and enjoy your flight. I personally don't like flying but we have to make the most out of it right?

Have fun :)

SAHM of 3 beautiful children and loving it!!

God Bless

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)