Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your kids to like school work?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM
  • 0 Replies

Well I realize that might be a bit of a stretch.  I'll settle for at least DOING the homework.  My dd is in preschool, yep, preschool, and she hates homework.  All they give her is tracing, cutting, coloring and letter and number copying.  My dd will just not do it.  She had some tracing and coloring to do and got halfway done and quit.  I told her she did a great job so far but needed to finish.  She said it was boring and she didn't want to.  I left it at that.  I know homework is important, but in some ways I fail to see why they need to practice coloring and hand it in when they do it at home for fun anyway.  Its just not 'fun' when you have to do it.  Anyway her teacher sent home a note saying that she doesn't recognize the letter Y and she only recognizes numbers up to 4 but not any others.  Well I walked upi to her showed her a Y and said, "whats that?" She said it was a Y.  And I showed her numbers 1-10 and she knew them all.  I wonder why she is saying she doesn't know what they are at school?  She is 5 now and this is her second year of preschool.  In kindergarden they want them to read and write simple sentences and add and subtract single digits.  We decided she wouldn't do well because she hated doing homework and just wanted to play and she didn't seem quite ready for all day kindergarden in which they have no nap time.  (they have 15 minutes head down on desk time at the beginning of the year but after a few weeks they drop it.).But next year she will be in kindergarden and I want her to do well.  Any tips for how you get your child to do school work and enjoy school would be appreciated. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)