Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat help...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM
  • 34 Replies

My son is 19 moths and weighs 35-ish lbs. He is in a forward facing carseat now that only goes up to 40lbs. I am trying to find a cheap 5 pt harness carseat that will hold up to 65+lbs? Any help? The ones I have seen are over $150 and I can not afford that.  I called my highway patrol for help and they were non at all, kept trying to tell me he needed to be in a high back booster at 40lbs. Sorry I am not putting my 19 month old in a seatbelt!

Any way any help would be great! What do you use?!?! Pictures would be great also!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ummm... the true fit FF to 65 lbs and is a good seat.

darbie2008
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM

try carseat.org ...i hear the ppl talking all about it in the car seat safty group ..i have the myride its 150 so out of your range but maybe you can save up for it and sometimes online stores have really good sales on good seats

Photobucket

peanutsmommy1
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

that goodness you did not listen to the highway patrol... further proof that being in law enforcment does NOT mean you know jack about car seats! 

You will have to come up with over $100 to find a higher weight harnessing seat, there are just none available under that. The least expensive is typically the Apex 65, but you have to have high seat backs or an adjustable headrest

justluvinmyson
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

How about the Graco Nautilus? It goes to 65 pounds and is about 150 at walmart.

Lindasmama
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM

someone one on the carseat group just got a GN for $100 after rebates and cash.I think she did a price match using kohls and walmart.com

2girlsMom.MN
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Not sure if this would help you or if you can wait...

Christmas- tell family you need a new carseat could they all go in on one or give you giftcards to a certain store. Kids have so many toys why not get them something they NEED.

Tax Time is right around the corner. That's how I was able to get my dd a Britax seat one year with my tax return.

Throw $10-$20 bucks in a jar each week til you have the money

You should have a few months to gather the money as youngins don't generally gain 5lbs in a month or two. Some kids will sit at the same weight for 2 years or more straight. Although he does sound like a big little guy so I'd say shoot for the next 3mos.

I would recommend the Graco Nautilus, I think that would last you the longest and it's a good seat.

Dance13
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM

They do have 5pt. harness high back boosters. I just got one for my son. It is Cosco Summit. It was 99$ at Burlington Coat Factory.

peanutsmommy1
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Quoting Dance13:

They do have 5pt. harness high back boosters. I just got one for my son. It is Cosco Summit. It was 99$ at Burlington Coat Factory.

that will only last her another 5 lbs in harness mode though...

CjEmmemommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:12 PM

That's what my 3 year old has and I love it.. I paid just under 150.00 and got it shipped free from amazon..

Erica

Quoting justluvinmyson:

How about the Graco Nautilus? It goes to 65 pounds and is about 150 at walmart.

a wedding website

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Graco Nautilus, Graco My Ride65, Safety 1st Apex 65, The First Years True Fit, can all be found for under $150.  Don't know if you're at all interested in it but I would buy the My Ride65 and let him rear face until 40 lbs like the seat allows and then turn him forward facing for the rest of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)