Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TODDLER WITH THE FLU??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

My 2 year old daughter came down with a fever of about 102 in the middle of this night, and has thrown up about 4 times now. I've given her motrin twice now (after 6 hours), put a cold washcloth on her forehead, given her a cool bath, and now she's in bed covered up because her Dad seems to think she needs to "sweat it out".  We have the Pedilite Pops.. & have been pushing fluids. Any more ideas anyone has, please share.

-Kim

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ajswenson
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  One tip, you CAN alternate between tylenol and motrin.  Give one every 3 hours.  It really helps to keep the fever from coming back in-between doses.  When my little ones are sick, I try to plan their meds so they get the motrin before bed times since it seems to last longer.  And my doc also said, as long as they can go potty, have saliva, or have tears, then they are not in danger of dehydration.  Hope she feels better soon.

2girlsMom.MN
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM

They are asking to not bring kids in unless they are getting worse, have a rash, dehydrated or having breathing problems. Or if they get better then suddenly get worse again. There is nothing the dr. can do generally. They aren't giving out tamiflu unless you have a underlying health condition and they won't prescribe antibiotics unless it looks like it's turned into pnumonia.

Major major major push the fluids

Get a Humidifier

Vicks Vapor Rub

Rotate Tylenol with Motrin ( I don't like tylenol it's not very effective with my kids)

We think we had it in our house and no one  went to the dr. I have had several friends freak out and drag their kids to dr. or ER several times probaly spreading it and exposing everyone and not a single friend has had their child admidted to the hosptial, has been given a prescription or has had the dr. do anything for them. Waste of time and money. I even have one friend who's dd is sick right now and plans to take her trick or treating but make her wear a mask. So my advise don't freak out just keep a close eye on your child.

**Also I went to Walmart the other night to get a thermometor and Children's motrin and they were sold out like shelves empty. So don't wait til it's urgent to have those things in the house. I did find what I needed at Target but I was SHOCKED.

smalltowngal
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Watch out for dehydration. My DS got dehydrated very quickly. He was drinking fluids fine in the morning, took a nap and woke up soaked in sweat. He wouldn't stop screaming and by the time we got him to the ER, he had stopped crying tears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)