Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He'd rather be with Mommy

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

Single mom here!

My oldest gets picked up from school everyday by his father. They hang about about 3 hours until I come home from work. He sleeps at my house every night and stays with his dad every other weekend. At his dad's, he is the only child. His dad has his mom living with him so for my boy it's just him, dad, and grandma.

At my house, he is the big brother. We have a full house, although nobody is rarely home. But it's me, my son, my 2 year old son, my two adult brothers, and mom. Usually, it's just my boys, my one brother, and I.

Well, my son hates going over to his dad's. This weekend is his dad's turn so I won't be taking him trick or treating. When he discovered this last night he just whined and told me how he wanted me to take him. Last week his school was on fall break. So in the mornings after I left for work he hung out with my mom and then she would drop him off at his dad's (his dad doesn't work). My mom called me and told me how my son was crying and kept telling her how he wanted to go with her instead. She said all the way to the door he had tears in his eyes. But when she knocked on that door, he stopped crying, dried his tears, and smiled when his dad opened the door. It broke my heart to hear that. He's only 6 and already he's learned to mask his true feelings.

I don't know what to do :-(

Any advice?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Hopefully he wasn't masking his feelings. Have you talked to his father? Have there been any major changes at his house? Does he cry and whine when it is time to came back to your house? I am not saying that he is but he could be playing both of you.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I think it's normal for kids to favor their mommy when they are little.  My dh talks about how hard it was on his daughters when he picked them up from his ex wife when they were little.  Unless you have reason to believe he's being abused, I think it's just a phase.  There may be a time when he will favor his dad. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

It could be for show for your mom. My dd is almost 6 and has all kinds of shows for different people. For me it is the whinny bad attitude one, or some days she could have the worse ouchy in the world. It could just have been because your mom was dropping him off.

mz_erica03
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the feedback!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)