Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car insurance. Please help me.

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM
  • 24 Replies

I'm trying to find the cheapest car insurance. My mom thinks I pay too much. I have a 1995 Geo Prism which is paid off and a 2005 Chevy Lumina which we still owe on. I am 20 and my husband is 24 about to be 25. We are with Geico and pay $105 a month. Is there any way to get this cheaper? Anyone know? What do you pay for insurance?

I love my girls, Madison and Isabelle and my husband Sam more than anything in this world! :)

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM

That seems pretty expensive for older cars, but I guess since you are young and "inexperienced" it is going to be more expensive. I bet your rates will be going down soon.

We pay a lump sum, but it works out to be about $89 for both vehicles.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

tiffanysgirls
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM

It is hard to determain if you pay too much without knowing your driving records. I know if you are under 25 you get a hit but if you are married that helps you out some. Have you tried getting quotes from a couple different places? It can't hurt.

jackie8236
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:21 AM

that doesn't seem that expensive to me. i have a 95 avalon and a 98 integra, i am 28 and my husband is 29. we have esurance and we pay $145/month. both cars are paid off and it just went up due to the lovely economy. they said the price to fix cars has gone up, which i laughed at, because since my cars are so old, if i ever got into an accident, more than likely they would just total them.

jackie8236
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM

being married and having multiple cars helps. but it can actually hurt your credit, most car insurances base your insurance on that too. cause you know god forbid you have a bad credit rating that automatically means your a bad person on all accounts and you can't drive either. :)

Quoting tiffanysgirls:

It is hard to determain if you pay too much without knowing your driving records. I know if you are under 25 you get a hit but if you are married that helps you out some. Have you tried getting quotes from a couple different places? It can't hurt.

2girlsMom.MN
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I have a 01 Ford Focus, I'm 29 and I pay 80 a mo. liability only

The cheapest insurance is Esurance on the internet they do all their buisness online/email and eliminate paper bills and paper all together so it's cheaper.

Lindylu237
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM

The cost of your insurance is determined by different things.  Your age, your driving history,(accidents, parking tickets, speeding tickets).  What kind of coverage you carry on your vehicles.  The deductable amount if in a accident.  The state that you live in also.

good luck

Lindylu237

NevadaSky
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM

We have a '01 Chevy Silverado and an '05 Toyota Tacoma both with full coverage.   Our home owners is also on our policy. We are through American Family and we pay $137.00 a month.

darbie2008
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:04 AM

wow i wish i paid that much ...im 26 hubby is 27  but both had tickets on our recourd that have fallen off  a caviler04 and a tourus 04 also and we pay 205 a month it just went down bc we went paperless but our credit wasnt the best when we got our insurce andwe had some periods of no coverage in our younger days so that hurt us a bit ..also since we moved to ga from ok it went down too from what i understand oklahoma has the highest rates bc of the lack of insured drivers on the road or something to that effect ..also the longer you stick with a company the cheaper the rate does go since your hubby is baout to turn 25 it will go down a bit for that (its the only big thing to look forward to after your 21 birthday lol )

Photobucket

marusia1052
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Go online to Progressive and name your own price...my insurance was a looooooooot cheaper than it's ever been doing it that way.

Pregnancy ticker

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I was paying around the same amount at your age.  As I got older the amount of insurance went down.  I am assuming that has to do with driver's experience and no crashes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)