Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eczema and playing outside

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

My little girl (18 months) has eczema pretty bad on her legs. We found a lotion that helps with it a lot, so the day to day stuff is under control.

A few weeks ago, I took my kids to my parent's house, and we all played outside. My 18 month old was in shorts and a short sleeved shirt (It's stil hot here, we live in Florida), and I notiiced when we went inside for the evening, her legs had broken out REALLY bad. I had never seen them this bad before, but her lotion got it under control within a day or two. I figured she may have a minor grass allergy, so the next time we went outside to play, I made sure she had on jeans, and socks, and shoes so the grass wouldn't irritate her legs.

It didn't help!! Her legs were even worse this time when we came in. I don't know what to do! She had a rash from her ankles to the top of her legs. Will she never be able to go outside and play?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BaileynMe
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I'd mention it to the doctor. She might have an allergy, and if she does, medication could control it. 

steph2884
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Sounds like she could have an allergy to the grass, or maybe something else in the back yard such as flowers or weeds or such. Talk to the doctor, she may have to take an allergy medication if it's something she'll be exposed to a lot.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
BaileynMe
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:09 AM

One thing I just thought of:

I had a friend who used to break into a HORRIBLE rash ever time he mowed his granparent's yard. This rash included blisters that were up to as big as a nickel. It took them forever but they finally figured out there was poison sumac growing in the yard. Check the areas she's playing in for plants like that. 

rileysmommy811
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:52 AM

That used to happen to me when I was a little girl.  But I'm allergic to grass

My legs would get most of the damages, and it was worse after the grass had just been cut.

My eczema went away for YEARS.  Then one day when I was 16 it slowly started coming back, and I didn't even know what it was.  It started getting worse and worse-I mean like arms, legs, feet, wrists, hands, even my face once or twice, now occasionally, I can fully get rid of it, but not for long.

Good luck to your daughter!  It really is terrible! especially for a kid!  I LOVED playing in the grass...so I just learned to suffer the consequences.

OH, and also, I always had really bad allergies, I wasn't able to really breath out of my nose until I was about 10.  Some of which has to do with grass.

mommamiaria
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:28 AM

I have had eczema since I was a baby and found that I broke out more in the areas that you sweat. Heat and humidity made my rash worse and I only wore cotton clothing as anything with nylon or wool made me itch and still does. Absolutely no perfumes of perfume based lotions. My mom used a lot of corn starch on me. I lived in Florida for 27 years so I know how hot it gets and that may be part of the problem. I would be curious if it improves during the cooler months like mine did.

I would like to invite you to join THE COOKING CAFE. It's all about Food, Fun & Friends. Swap recipes, share ideas, ask questions or just hang out. We have a RECIPES section divided into categories to make it easy for our members to find what they are looking for. It's an awesome group and we would love for you to join us.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/27504

CMcLaws
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone! (Sorry I bailed, I fell asleep, LOL)

She's played outside at two different locations, so I don't think there's one particular plant that she's been exposed to. I have definitely ntoiced she breaks out a lot in the places she sweats, like the backs of her knees amd the crooks of her elbows. However, so far the drier it seems to get, the worse her rash has become.

If she's allergic to grass, will it still bother her even if she had pants and socks and shoes on?  

01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:15 PM

My DD is the same way. She tested allergic to grass, dirt, tumbleweeds and pollen. There is no way to avoid exposure. I was told to give her Zyrtec or Claritan, keep her skin as covered as possible (without overheating her) and bathe her as soon as she comes in. If it's not possible, like she's been at the park...change her clothes (including socks) right away. It may seem a hassle to change their clothes before getting in the car after playing,  but I do whatever it takes to keep my DD from misery. When she comes in from playing, we do an oatmeal bath and put on her eczema cream and lotion.

Momof3smoochies
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I had it just as bad as your little girl when I was little. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can really do other than the lotions. And yes she can play outside. Just make sure she doesn't scratch.

CMcLaws
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Thank you so much - this is great information!

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

My DD is the same way. She tested allergic to grass, dirt, tumbleweeds and pollen. There is no way to avoid exposure. I was told to give her Zyrtec or Claritan, keep her skin as covered as possible (without overheating her) and bathe her as soon as she comes in. If it's not possible, like she's been at the park...change her clothes (including socks) right away. It may seem a hassle to change their clothes before getting in the car after playing,  but I do whatever it takes to keep my DD from misery. When she comes in from playing, we do an oatmeal bath and put on her eczema cream and lotion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)