Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone Know About VA??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM
  • 18 Replies

I thank all of those who posted in my other topic about moving and where my family was gonna go. Right now we are really thinking about VA. I just wanna know everything I can about this state...good places to live, good schools, etc. Thanks all! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanya_marieh
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I'm sorry I can't really help.  I live in Norfolk, va and I absolutely HATE it and I have heard the schools aren't to great here.  Hopefully someone more north west VA can give you better advice than me.  Maybe change your post name to something with VA in it so people know what you need.  Good luck.  :)

mommanesh
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Quoting tanya_marieh:

I'm sorry I can't really help.  I live in Norfolk, va and I absolutely HATE it and I have heard the schools aren't to great here.  Hopefully someone more north west VA can give you better advice than me.  Maybe change your post name to something with VA in it so people know what you need.  Good luck.  :)

I agree, or try to find a VA group on here.  They would be more helpful.

Crissy2424
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I only posted here cuz I got A LOT of people from VA to reply and got me thinking about moving there :)

rockinmomto2
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Northern VA isn't so bad, but it's REALLY expensive. Like, a normal 2 bedroom apartment is $1500+ per month. Fredericksburg is an okay place to live. Schools are decent, it's an hour south of DC, and there's stuff to do. But it's boring. Right now, we live outside of Richmond, and I would NOT recommend this area. It's just generally a crappy place to live, schools aren't that great, and it's dirty. Honestly, I'd find a better state if I were you. DH and I plan on moving away from here eventually.

CaliMama88
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM

We moved to Virginia on my 13 birthday almost 8 years ago from San Diego California! We moved to Chesapeake Virginia and I absolutely love it! I went to a high school that was one of the best school my parents had come across aka the reason we moved here! I went to Hickory High school and I had some of the best teachers! The Hickory School district is awesome the middle school and high school are right next to each other! When we moved here though I was sooooo far behind in school because California school are much further behind then the ones here. My 7th grade year I had to do summer school for English as well as Math! It was tough but I had the best teacher and was averaging a D- at my school in California and then 8th grade through 12th grade I was an honor roll student! And my brother is in the 4th grade right now and he is doing excellent making honor roll every semester and just made student of the month! The schools in Chesapeake are amazing! 

As far as safety goes. Chesapeake most parts of it have low crime. My husband is in the Navy so we live in Norfolk in Navy Housing and Norfolk is NOT a good place!!!! My parents live in a nice neighborhood and there was never any serious crimes in our area. I honestly like Virginia more then i do California and I did NOT want to move here! I think you need to do some research on the school districts and neighborhoods in Virginia and see what is best for you and your family! If you have any questions feel free to message me! Hope this helps!

smb87
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM

good ole VA....

northern va is a nice place...more city like tho. (but idk where you are moving from) my SO is from northern VA...arington area. they have a good school system. my college roomie was from alexandria, which is in northern, va. she went to a private school and she said it was a good school. although, northern VA is more expensive to live.  i am from richmond, va. my SOs parent's house is about 900,00$ and the house we live in is 400,00$ and is 4x the live of my inlaws home. more bang for your buck in richmond vs. northern VA. schools in richmond are good. henrico county and chesterfield county are the two counties that have good schools. some schools in the counties are better than others but for the most part...good schools! i went to schools in chesterfield county. richmond city schools are not so good.  if you have any other questions such as towns/neighborhoods etc. just PM me and i will be happy to help you and your family out!

Nenasam
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

It's depend on where is your hubby gonna works? you might wanna stay some where abit closer or at least 30 minutes drive? VA is a nice area to live.. I moved to MD last year cuz my hubby bought a house out here. and I miss VA, once a month I would drive up to VA to get nice yummy food and hangout with my friends up there..

let's me know if I could help more of the area and school.. !!

shajdinyak
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Yeah! I think I respoded to you yesterday! Hanover sounty i suppose to be a good district and it is more country.  Henrico County is suppose to be good and it is not so country.  Ask any other questions and feel free to pm me.  GL

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I have family that live in Beaumont and family in New Port News. I don't know a whole lot about schools and stuff, but I do know their homes are beautiful. Lame, I know, lol.....but I haven't been there since I was 9 or 10.

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

gogetem
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I just moved from Virginia a couple months ago.  I lived there for close to 5 years.  I was so depressed there.  The crime rate is really high in most areas I've been to in and around Virginia Beach and Norfolk.  I wouldn't recommend it.  You deal with a LOT LOT LOT of rain, too.  Doesn't seem to bad of a thing until you're living there and have two consecutive weeks of insane rain.  The drivers there, IMO, are the worst in the country.  The roads are poorly designed.  Drug dealers everywhere.  People getting their cars keyed, smashed windows, broken into.  I didn't feel safe going on walks with my kid or dogs.  I've been to a lot of states and Kentucky is GORGEOUS.  Or Flagstaff Arizona.  That's just me, though.  My family likes country living without a lot of people around us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)