Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

waitressing they said i owed money?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM
  • 12 Replies

ok ive waitressed befor but never at a place like this!!! ok they didnt pay me for all my hours because i was a host some of the days i brought that uptothem a few days ago they took my check and i still havent heard anything back....... they charge you 3 dollars everyday you work for food even if you dont eat and you have to buy your own shirts (tee shirts) that you have to wear (thats normal dosn't bother me) also last night they told me i owed them money and i was like is it because my check was messed up and she told me that every waitress ows money sometimes thats just the way it works well you didnt pay me all my money and i only waitressed ONE day that week and i owed them 7 dollars????? For doing the job they hired me to do? i know 7 dollarsisnt alto but i dont have grocries in the fridge for my kids right now so that 7 dollars was 2 gallons of milk im pissed im going to work this morning to find out whats up woth my check and why i had to pay them for me to waitress one day......  aghhhh has this ever happened to anyone else?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeryheart
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:25 AM

i've waitressed for over 30 years and never had that happen. if i were you, i would contact the labor board in your area. good luck!! 

Bonnie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I can't say that it's ever happened to me... I've never waitressed before. Something about that bothers me, though.... Here's a free bump. Good luck to you!

newagemom700
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:27 AM

okay...so your paying them to work there pretty much? NO!!! something is not right! I understand having to purchase your uniform....and even the $3.00 for food....(which to me they should give you at least 1 free meal, cheap bastards! lol) but thats all the charges you should be responsible for! You are working for them, to earn money...not pay them to work....something is not right and I would make sure it gets fixed!.....You shouldnt OWE money just for working....so no, every waitress shouldnt "owe money sometimes, thats just the way it works...."

also, Why would it matter if you were hosting or waitressing? I know it makes a differance tips wise and all that, but if you are on the clock, regardless of position you should still be getting paid an hourly wage.

bellasmom32808
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM

that doesn't sound legal, especially charging you for food you didn't eat and claiming you owe them money. You should not be paying them, they should be paying you! Contact the labor board ASAP. Good luck!

canthaveboys1
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM

So you have to pay them to work? That isnt right. I have had a lot of jobs and never heard of such a thing. I would contact the labor board, as well because I think they are trying to screw you. I have heard of tipping out your bussers, other than that, nothing. Look for another job, because once you confront them or call the labor board the crap may hit the fan.  

MarineWife1108

If I were you, I'd try to find a new job fast. Sounds like they have some kind of under the table thing going on.  

marineswink  expecting girl

bren_darlene

I have never heard any such thing. I have waitressed before (Red Lobster and Tocarras) and they always paid me and I kept my tips. They also provided my uniforms free of charge.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

RagdollEB
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I have never waitressed but that just doesn't sound right! I'd do exactly what the first post says. Contact the Labor board. Look for a new job also. That's messed up! Keep us updated I'm curious! The crap waitresses deal with there's no way you should owe! 

Mishel73
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I have been in the restaurant industry for over 12 years (GM, server, Bartender) and it is NOT ok what they are doing.  I would ask them the EXACT reason that they feel you "owe" them money, ask for it in writing (bet they stop asking) and ask them what is going on with your paycheck.  They can not withhold your paycheck for ANY reason....even if you stole from them (not saying you did, just making a point).  I would contact your local labor board and ask for their opinion/assistance and in the meantime, I would be looking for another job.  Server jobs are pretty easy to find and you shouldn't have to deal with that.  Sounds shady.  Like a PP said, sounds like something is going on "under the table".

Good luck!

whitbug
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Also i forgot to mention they claim on your w-4 the amount of tips ypu made but instaed of asking you how many tips you made they just say 10% of your total nights sales is how much you made in tips so 700=70 800=80 etc well ive done the math and you dont make 10% well at leaste i haven't the 3 sundays ive waitressed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)