Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 month old weighs too much for rear-facing car seat...Advice please

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM
  • 29 Replies

Good morning ladies,

I have a dilemma.  My 10 month old is right at 22 lbs.  His carseat is only supposed to hold up to 22 lbs and I know he is supposed to be rear-facing at least until he is 1.  I can't afford to buy another rear-facing carseat that I will only use for 2 months and also don't feel comfortable putting him in a front facing seat 2 months early.  Any advice???  I know I can keep him rear-facing beyond one year but naturally I'd like to purchase one more carseat (a front facer) and be done with it until the booster years.

Thanks.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballewal
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Buy a convertible carseat. Mine is good RF or FF until at least 40 pounds, many are good 65 pounds and more. Alpha Omega works until about 100 pounds. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

aecooper
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM

You need to get a convertiable carseat.  that way he can rear face and than it turns forward.  You can find seats that go up to 35 pounds rear facing or higher.  Good Luck

Mishel73

Quoting ballewal:

Buy a convertible carseat. Mine is good RF or FF until at least 40 pounds, many are good 65 pounds and more. Alpha Omega works until about 100 pounds. 

MommyOnLI

why would you buy another RF infant carrier...

a convertable car seat RF & FF (most from 5lbs +)

a convertable car seat usually goes to 65 lbs.

momma2-3boys
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM

You can buy a convertible car seat.  It will rear face and front face.

OP, what is your budget and we can recommend some convertible seats for you.

NoraDun
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I had this problem when my first son was 9 months old. He had out grown his carseat both in length and weight. My Pediatrician actually said it was more dangerous to leave him in the rear facing seat then to move him to forward facing.

Funny thing now is that my second child is the opposite. He is so small and will probably be able to fit in the rearfacing infant seat until 18 months or more LOL

minimom11107
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM
Quoting aecooper:

You need to get a convertiable carseat.  that way he can rear face and than it turns forward.  You can find seats that go up to 35 pounds rear facing or higher.  Good Luck

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM

You need a convertable seat. The Cosco Scenera is only about $45 at walmart. It will RF to 35lbs then FF. If you want a carseat that will last longer then I would get the First Years True Fit (RF to 35lbs & FF to 65lbs) or the Graco MyRide65 (RF to 40lbs & FF to 65lbs). Both of these seats will last until its booster time. So you will only need to buy one seat.

Dimples04
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:47 AM

The Graco My Ride 65 is about 150.00 but it RF's to 40lbs (Good for a chunky baby) and it FF to 65lbs.  Check out walmart.com and see what deals you can find on that seat.  The Cosco Scenera will RF to 35lbs and FF to 40lbs. It is a good spare seat or one to get until you save the money to get the other one.  Good luck.  

Gizzy22
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM

You need to go get the convertible car seat. My almost 5 month old is already 17lbs and almost 27 inches long. she is almost outgrown her infant carrier. So i bought her a convertible car seat. She loves it. and its easier with not having to carry it and all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)