Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumb sucking..... HELP

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hi i have a 2 1/2 year old girl who has literaly sucked her thumb forever. we have ultrasound pictures of her sucking her thumb. So loves it. I think it is time to start weening her off of it. the dentist said it can't do any permentent damage untill after the age of 7. i do not want her sucking her thumb till she is 7! I think it will be easier to start now.  But i cant find anything that works. ive but the nasty nail polish on her nail. and it doesnt even bother her. she is just happy i painted her nail.  ive told her only babys suck their thumbs and she is  big girl she laughes at me and says NOOooooo. 

I was justwondering if any other moms have some different ways to approch this problem. thanks

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meghan925
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM
My 2 year old does also and she's so damn dependent on it I feel bad trying to take it but its time to stop. Maybe we'll get some good advice

Im a proud 18 year old mommy to my beautiful 2 year old Alaina Marie

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I really do not know what to tell you my grandmother tried everything to get me to stop from pepper on my thumb to hot suce to lemon juice nothing worked intill I was older and decided myself that it was just silly for me to be sucking my thumb I was 14. So hopefully you will have better luck with your daughter then my grandma had on me. GOOD LUCK.

lilmamiz07
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Quoting meghan925:

My 2 year old does also and she's so damn dependent on it I feel bad trying to take it but its time to stop. Maybe we'll get some good advice

SAME HERE BUT I DON'T FEEL BAD.  MY 15 MONTH OLD HAS 2 DEEP CUTS FROM HER BITTING IT.  AND LAST NIGHT SHE FELL ASLEEP ON THE SOFA WITH MR. THUMB... WHEN I WENT TO TAKE IT OF HER MOUTH A FELT THAT SHE WAS BITTING IT WITH OF COUSE HER BOTTOM TEETH RIGHT WHERE HER CUT IS AT.  I MEAN I JUST LIKE FELT IT!!!  PLUS SHE HAS A BIG LUMP ON IT AND IS PEALING.  HER DOCTOR; YESTURDAY TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY THAT WHEN EVER I SEE HER DOING IT, TO DISTRACT HER.. BUT I MEAN I CAN'T KEEP AN EYE ON HER EVERY SECOND?!?!  NEITHER AT BEDTIME.

isaiahsmomma86
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I've heard of using lemon juice on their thumb, i dont know if it works, i havent had to deal with that, my son doesnt suck his thumb and he's still kinda little, BUT i urge you to deal with it now, there was a girl i went to high school with and she was a sophomore or junior and sucked her thumb! She had the worst teeth ever, they looked like cave man teeth!

Heather- I am a  vaxing, non CIO, disposable diapering, formula feeding, stay at home mommy to Isaiah and happily married to the best hubby ever, Patrick.

natalies_mama
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM

my 4mo is just starting & i don't know what to do!!!

babygirl709
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I seen a website that sales a brace for the thumb for like 15 dollars.  My 4 month old tries and I am continually pulling it out or I put mittens on her.  We have several different pacifiers and that helps

lauretta011
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I had 2 boys that sucked their thumb. the oldest I made a big deal ove & he ended up sucking his thumb til he was 12 yrs. old. The youngest I didn't make a big deal over,  I said nothing and acted like he wasn't even doing it. He quit sucking his thumb when he was 4 yrs. old. I feel that the bigger deal you make of it the more she will do it. It's a security thing. She will quit when she is ready.

lilmamiz07
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Quoting lauretta011:

I had 2 boys that sucked their thumb. the oldest I made a big deal ove & he ended up sucking his thumb til he was 12 yrs. old. The youngest I didn't make a big deal over,  I said nothing and acted like he wasn't even doing it. He quit sucking his thumb when he was 4 yrs. old. I feel that the bigger deal you make of it the more she will do it. It's a security thing. She will quit when she is ready.

yeah but did they bit it so hard that left nasty cuts??  mine dd has horrible cuts (2)  they're deep to and her thumb is really white.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Quoting lilmamiz07:

Quoting lauretta011:

yeah but did they bit it so hard that left nasty cuts??  mine dd has horrible cuts (2)  they're deep to and her thumb is really white.

I had that problem with the white cut up thumb because I did suck my thumb so much. Luckly I had no teeth problems from sucking my thumb so long. But I have to agree with lauretta011 I think if you give her a harder time about it she will do it longer. I think that is why I did it for as long as I did because everyone made a big deal out of trying to get me to quit doing it.

NiekaC
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:46 AM

i sucked my thumb till 8 lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)