Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Perhaps dumb car seat question. PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay so I know that car seats expire (although I don't currently remember how long they are good for... long night!) but what about the convertible car seats?  My daughter's goes 5-35 pounds rear facing, then I don't know 50 or so pounds forward facing with harness, and then to 100 pounds as a booster.  If I remember correctly they expire at 6 years, but I don't know any 6 year olds that weigh 100 pounds, my 8 year old niece doesn't even weigh that much, so do convertible car seats have a longer "life" or no?  Thanks!

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the harness expires at 6 yrs on convertibles and the shell that is used to booster to 100 is good for longer.

ZoeCY
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Oh that would be logical.  Thanks!

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

I may be wrong, but I think the harness expires at 6 yrs on convertibles and the shell that is used to booster to 100 is good for longer.

01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM

What seat do you have?

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM

It depends on the seat. Most expire after 6 yrs. That is the entire seat. But some seats (like the Graco Nautilus), the harness expires after 6yrs & the booster part of the seat after 9yrs.

What seat do you have?

ZoeCY
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM

It is an Eddie Bauer one, I am not sure of the specifics... that is bad I should be.

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

What seat do you have?

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

ZoeCY
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3262812

I believe that it is this one. 

Quoting MommaBunch84:

It depends on the seat. Most expire after 6 yrs. That is the entire seat. But some seats (like the Graco Nautilus), the harness expires after 6yrs & the booster part of the seat after 9yrs.

What seat do you have?

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I'm almost 100% positive that those seats expire after 6yrs. But most children will not make it to 100lbs in these seats (3-n-1 or all-n-one) because they will outgrow the heigh of it. My 4yr old very tall neice is too tall for her eddie bauer 3-n-1 carseat booster. The seatbelt positioner that the shoulder belt goes through, when put at the highest it can go, is below her shoulder. My neice is only 45lbs. I also wanted to let you know that these seats make very bad boosters for children. They also usually only harness to 40lbs. Which for the average child is WAY to early for a booster. They typically don't fit the child properly. When its time for a booster I would buy a Graco Turbo booster. If she gets to 40lbs and is only 3 or 4yrs old, the seat belt probably won't fit her correctly in the Eddie Bauer. I HIGHLY recommend tossing this seat when she gets to the FF limit and getting the Graco Nautilus. Walmart has it for $144. It harnesses to 65lbs then goes to booster. Like I said in the other post. The harness on the GN expires after 6yrs and the booster after 9 yrs.

Quoting ZoeCY:

It is an Eddie Bauer one, I am not sure of the specifics... that is bad I should be.

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

What seat do you have?

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

ZoeCY
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I am curious why do they make very bad boosters?  Someone else in another group also said that.  I just double checked and it said that it does FF with a harness until 50lbs.  Thanks again!

Quoting MommaBunch84:

I'm almost 100% positive that those seats expire after 6yrs. But most children will not make it to 100lbs in these seats (3-n-1 or all-n-one) because they will outgrow the heigh of it. My 4yr old very tall neice is too tall for her eddie bauer 3-n-1 carseat booster. The seatbelt positioner that the shoulder belt goes through, when put at the highest it can go, is below her shoulder. My neice is only 45lbs. I also wanted to let you know that these seats make very bad boosters for children. They also usually only harness to 40lbs. Which for the average child is WAY to early for a booster. They typically don't fit the child properly. When its time for a booster I would buy a Graco Turbo booster. If she gets to 40lbs and is only 3 or 4yrs old, the seat belt probably won't fit her correctly in the Eddie Bauer. I HIGHLY recommend tossing this seat when she gets to the FF limit and getting the Graco Nautilus. Walmart has it for $144. It harnesses to 65lbs then goes to booster. Like I said in the other post. The harness on the GN expires after 6yrs and the booster after 9 yrs.

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

What seat do you have?

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Thats good that it goes to 50lbs & not 40lbs. With the booster, the way the seat positions the seatbelt is bad. It doesn't make it lay across the shoulder. Also I know noticed on my neice (who just moved from the same seat you have to a Graco Turbobooster) that the lap belt didn't lay on her lap because of the way it went over the seat. I wish I took a picture of her in it. I can see if I can find you a pic from somewhere.

Quoting ZoeCY:

I am curious why do they make very bad boosters?  Someone else in another group also said that.  I just double checked and it said that it does FF with a harness until 50lbs.  Thanks again!

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

What seat do you have?

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting 01.Amey.07:

heydooney
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Quoting MommaBunch84:

What seat do you have?

Just wanted to say I love your siggy. My 2-year-old is too heavy to RF now. Hoping the 9-month-old can RF longer.

Hi, I'm Danielle. Here I am in a nutshell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)