Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have baby showers for all your kids?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM
  • 54 Replies

I've heard that you're only supposed to have a baby shower for the first baby . . . but does anyone follow that rule anymore? 

I have four kids and had three baby showers (only three because my first two are twins). 

But my kids are almost five years apart each--now ages 16, 16, 11 and 7.  So, by the time I got pregnant again, my youngest was no longer a baby at all.

The ladies at church threw my baby showers.  (And each time, we lived in a different state, to it wasn't the same people.)  Mostly, I got a lot of clothes, which is what I wanted.  (I never registered for a baby shower.)  I saved the cribs from baby to baby and, in fact, used the same second-hand crib for all my kids. 

What about you?  Did you have a baby shower for your first baby?  What about your subsequent babies?  Who threw your baby shower?  Did you register somewhere?

Were you happy with your baby shower?

stork

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USMCBride08
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I only have one baby right now =]

and we didn't have a babyshower  

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

Shaunalynn
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I only had showers for my first born.

It wasn't that I didn't want to have baby showers for the others. Noboby ever hosted one for me. I tried to get my sister to host one, but she basically refused. (My first was 10 yrs old when I had my second... so I had NOTHING.)

I think it depends largely on how far apart the kids are as to what the social protocol is.

I also think most people ignore that particular social "rule" now.

SamanthaLarae
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Well I just have one child so far and did have a baby shower thrown by my mom, and loved it! If I have another girl, I won't have another one (unless someone just wants to throw me one), and if I have a boy I MIGHT...just depends.

AngieEMT
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I have two adopted children and never had a baby shower at all. Even though we adopted one of them at birth. (The other was 2 when he came to live with us and 4 when we adopted him.) It was very hurtful that no one thought to have a baby shower. I have gone to all my cousins showers (and I have lots of cousins) some of them for more than one kid always bearing a very nice gift. My work friends did get together and buy me a stroller and high chair. I did not have any baby stuff since my first child was older when he came to us.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM

No. Only one work shower for my first.  I don't live around family so I didn't have a family and friends shower.  We got TONS of gifts after we had our first, so not having a family and friends shower was fine. 

ElizaBearsMommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I'm preggo w/ baby #2 now. My DD is 20 months and i'm due next month. I had a baby shower w/ DD and i'm having one next Sunday for this one really the only reason i'm getting one this time is b/c its a boy and I dont have clothes for him and there are a few other things. we were just going to do a Welcome home/ baby sprinkle afterwards but its just too close to christmas. So  I"m getting a small shower and then we are goin to have Christmas at our house (atleast for one side of the family). I dont think it is wrong to have more than one. especially if they are far apart or different genders or even if you had to get rid of things say b/c of a move or something. IDK just how i look at it!

*~JEANE ALICIA~*
ELIZABETH LEIGHANN's
MOMMY!
Friend, Wife, Mother, House Keeper, Errand runner, Bill payer, Money maker, Picture taker, Personal Chef...Really what more could you want???

shyysmom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM

well i had two baby showers for my son.. he is the only child. but if i ever had another child i would have another baby shower. i think each birth needs to be celebrated.

momforever459
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I believe the rule of thumb is 5 years. For your first baby, a baby shower is great. However, it is sort of rude to have one for every baby. That is, unless these kids are more than five years apart. The reason for this is that if you have a baby, then have another about a year or two later, you should still have all the baby stuff from the first one, so why throw another baby shower? Greedy much? This is the old way of things though, and the 'proper' way. You can always do whatever you like, but if its been less than five years since the last one, think about how your friends will think.

By the way, I threw a baby shower for ever one of my sister's kids, and she has 6 kids, each one being 2 or 3 years apart from the next.

The whole point of a baby shower was to celebrate the baby, and to present the mother with any gifts she might need such as bottles, onesies, diapers, and the sort. Another friend of mine was having twins, but she also had a daughter that was 4 years old. She decided instead of a full blown baby shower, she would just have a diaper drive! They really work wonders!

elly25
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Yes I did.I had one after I had my son and one before I had my daughter.The first one was nice and I got some good things,but five in a half years later I had gotten rid of everything that I had for my son.So I needed some new things for her.So I had one and no one showed up,but my MIL and her mother.I got a few things and that was all.If I was to have another child right now I wouldn't have another one.Just because I have everything for a baby still.

owls

nokesmomof2
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM

i have 2 kids and have never had a baby shower

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)