Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever had exploratory surgery?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

Im haveing exploratory surgery next week and I am freaking out because everyone i have talked to says its really painful for a while .I had my galbladder taken out a few months ago and it was painful for like a few day but then i was back to work 3 days after the surgery ,so for all of u that have had it what was it like ?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natalies_mama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM

where are you having it done?  i had it done on my shoulder once... they found stuff that needed to be repaired, so it was a longer recovery because of that.  about a month, i'd say.  

babymamaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM

They're going through my navel ,because I have been having alot of pain in my abdomen for a few month's now and all they are seeing on the ultrasound is Lot's of fluid .

babymamaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

bump!

trentntats
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I have. They went through my navel and two spots on my lower stomach---like bikini area. I don't remember it being too bad. I had a bunch of stuff removed so that was uncomfortable. My belly button was uncomfortable for awhile and the two incisions hurt for awhile.

babymamaof3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

that is another thing that I am scared of is them taking stuff out! lol I want to keep all my body parts especially the ones that are required to make a baby because I want to try for a girl one day !

nicksmom1219
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Never had it, but have you had a CT scan to see where the fluid is coming from? I would make sure all imaging options have been covered before having surgery.

trentntats
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I should have been more specific...the only thing they took out was a TON of scar tissue and several cysts. They won't take anything out on exploratory surgery..like parts....they will have to have your consent when you wake upand that will be another surgery

Quoting babymamaof3:

that is another thing that I am scared of is them taking stuff out! lol I want to keep all my body parts especially the ones that are required to make a baby because I want to try for a girl one day !

ashleykilleen
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

i had that done, i had alot of issues with my c-section scar and my uterus so they went threw my belly button with a camera and then cut open about an inch of my section scar to fix the massive amount of scar tissue i had. It actualy grew from my uterus and attached its self to my intestines. I also had multiple cycts that needed to be removed.

it wasnt so bad,my belly was really bloated becasue they have to inflate it so they can get around and see in there. I was sore for about a week or so,i was also really groggy after the surgery for quite a few hours so make sure your have a baby sitter for a couple hours atleast so you can rest up,

good luck it will be over before you know it!!!

-ash

CafeMom Tickers

~Look how far my Little Man has Come~

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

~Wonderful Mommy To Sheamus~

SpiritWish
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I've had 2 kinds of exploratories done....

the first one was done via laparascope. This is done through the belly button. the incision is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length (maybe even smaller) and they go in with a tube that they can fish a scope and tools through. The scope goes in and looks around. Based on whatever's going on, lasers can be used, clippers, syringes, etc can be used. Most laparascopic exploratories don't take longer than about 20 or 30 minutes. Normal down time is between 24 to 48 hours with return to work time within 2 to 3 days, full recovery within about a month.

The second exploratory I had was a full vertical abdominal incision from the top of the symphasis pubis to the belly button. that's the one that takes the longest time to heal from. They opened me up because they were concerned about my organs.... I'm still to this day unsure what was going on.... I was so incredibly sick that all decisions made were done by my mom. In the end, my appendix was what had to be removed. The time for the procedure was about 45 minutes to an hour, the down time was about 1 to 2 weeks and a return to work time within 2 to 4 weeks. Full recovery took 6 to 8 months.

For me to recover, it was no big deal... despite the down time and healing time for both types of procedures, the pain wasn't all that bad.... the key is to follow the dosing instructions for your pain meds to the letter for the first 12 to 24 hours post-op. As you feel better, use meds like Tylenol or Advil during the day and as needed, use your prescription for pain at night to help with comfort and sleep. Eventually, only Tylenol or Advil is needed and then eventually nothing's needed. I was amazed at how quickly the pain seemed to go away. One thing to remember when dealing with exploratories, whether done via laparascope or via large open incision....  if you have to sneeze or cough, have a pillow handy.

As for the pain... Let your doctor know before surgery that you're concerned about the pain associated with the procedure. more than likely, your surgeon will either prescribe Vicodin or something with codeine...  If your worried about nausea, make sure your surgeon knows about that too... that way they can prescribe either Zofran, Phenergan or Compazine for you (those are the most common antiemetics).

Hope this helps.

Makenzies_mom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM

i had that done about 5 yrs ago and it did not hurt that bad hurt for a few days i also had my apendics out at the same time they went right on my ribs to do it because i was having sever overy pain and they did not mess with that they alos made a small instion over my left overy and found nothing. my pain went away after i got preg with my daughter and now 2 yrs later its back so who knows all i can say is for me on a scell from 1 to 10 it was  like maybe 4 or 5 after good luck

Quoting babymamaof3:

They're going through my navel ,because I have been having alot of pain in my abdomen for a few month's now and all they are seeing on the ultrasound is Lot's of fluid .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)