Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

DD is having her first feild trip. i was so excited for her. its to see a play of alice and wonderland at a local highschool. i thought it was a great idea. and it sounds like so much fun.

then i found out, that the are not taking a bus. they are walking....im not sure if i am all together comfratable with that :( :( im not going to keep her from going. but i am just so uncomfratable about the idea of a large group of kindergardeners (60 or so) walking down the street with 5 teachers to supervise.

i want to volunteer so bad, but you have to be fingerprinted, and it takes up to a week to get clearance, and the field trip is thursday. grrr. :(

what are you thoughts on this? if nothing else, try to make me feel better about this lol.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luvbeingmama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

drive by them as they are walking a couple times until you see them make it there safe.

liz1986
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Hmm... well, how far is it from the school? I always go w/ my son on a field trip. I don't understand why you have to be fingerprinted??? 

Proud Army Wife to Tim 12.31.07
Mommy to Chris 06.21.05
Mommy to Anthony 07.24.07

army washing dishesbackpack toddler boy

Mandipants
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM

If the school allows it and is not afraid of the liability, then I wouldn't worry too much. Those teachers do NOT want to let any child get hurt any more than you want your kiddo hurt. I see kids walking on a busy street near our house a lot (there is an elementary school nearby) they are well supervised and I've never seen a problem. If you are still very concerned, call the school and speak with them about it. Then talk to DD and make sure she knows the rules. Ask her to walk on the inside of the sidewalk and to be aware of her surroundings. You've probably already taught her about look both ways and not to go running out in traffic.

I know that there can be issues at school, but there isn't a school out there that wants the bad press associated with a field trip gone awry. Those teachers and volunteers care about the kids and don't want them to get hurt either :) Hope this helps.

lcbowman
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I think as long as there are volunteers to help it is fine.  They don't take chances with children.  I am pretty strick about certain things and my son's K teacher is even stricker than I am.  I am sure it will not be just the 5 teachers, there will be other parents to help.  As another poster suggested just review basic safety rules with your daughter the day of the trip and you can bet the teachers are going to have some of their own to add to the list.

jcp270
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I agree with the other posts.  Also, drivers are usually more courteous when there is a group of small children.

jenniepepsi
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM

i wish i could. i dont have a car :( thank you though.

Quoting luvbeingmama:

drive by them as they are walking a couple times until you see them make it there safe.

jenniepepsi
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM

i just looked and i feel alot better its litterally just right around the corner. maybe, 1000 feet.

Quoting liz1986:

Hmm... well, how far is it from the school? I always go w/ my son on a field trip. I don't understand why you have to be fingerprinted??? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)